Protein drink...spiru-tein

aclay
on 6/16/11 3:48 am - MA
Has anyone ever tried this brand?  I went to a natural food /helistic typy of place and they had tons of every flavor sample you can imagine.  The lady said they are mostly a protein blend of rice protein, pea and soy protein.  Is this good for us?  Because if so ...at 1.49 each I'll be in heaven....they have pina colado...peanut butter swirl...orange dream...and yummy flavors.

Jenny_D
on 6/16/11 5:21 am - Canton, GA
I'm no expert on all the types of protein, but I do know that my NUT said that whey protein isolate is the best type of protein for RNY patients.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

nate2009
on 6/16/11 6:09 am - Lebanon, OH
You need whey isolate for the amino acid content ...rice,pea,and soy contain way less aminos so you would need way more of this for the same effect. In the end the whey is the better choice. Remember whey has the highest amino content and that is even more important that the grams of protein.

It's kind of the same thing as pork skins .... they say on the package that they are not a source of protein but in the nutrition facts they are like 7-10g of protein. They have no amino content so they are useless to us as protein. Not saying the protein above is useless but just not the same as whey isolate.
    No longer about weight , it's all about living.            
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/11 7:42 am
the 1.49 per serving... is probably 14 gr of proteions... plus 8 gr of sugars with 11 total carbs.. Taht way too much carbs and sugars for us.  So the full serving ... will be more than $2  for us.
A typical serving of good whey protein will have 20-25 gr of proteins 0-3 gr of carbs and 0- 2 gr of fat.  
We do need at least 2 x the amount of proteins as a normal person.

BTW: at 3 years post op I take 120-160 gr of proetins a day and only with that level my Blood level is in mid - normal range.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mandajolyn
on 6/16/11 2:22 pm - Tallahassee, FL
They have a whey version. I've never liked them as they get clumpy, I've tried making them other ways but still get clumps. My mom used to drink these when I was a kid. Vitamin shoppe carries it and that's where I saw the whey version.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

Kelly S.
on 6/16/11 10:06 pm - MA
 I had a WLS grad suggest Spirutein to me (for the protein, the flavors, etc) and I found it just awful!  I got Strawberry, Chai Latte, Chocolate and Cappuchino.  The smell was hideous and I couldn't get it past my nose.

That being said, everyone is different and can tolerate different flavors, textures, etc.

As for the nutritional content, I'll admit that I didn't even look.  It was suggested to me by someone 1.5yrs out and her hubby who was 3 wks out at the time.  They both love the brand and use it as their protein shake, so I assumed it was ok.

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics