3 mo. supervised diet

K_Behr
on 6/15/11 12:11 am
I'm so upset that I have to reschedule surgery next week for 3 months out. I just don't know if I can't take this waiting anymore! I'm upset with the doc office as well because I've been going through this process since Nov and they just now found out I have to do a 3 month supervised diet??? So frustrated and just want to screm! Sorry..just needed to vent and see if this has happened to any of you?

macjuicy
on 6/15/11 12:22 am, edited 6/15/11 12:22 am - FL
On June 15, 2011 at 7:11 AM Pacific Time, K_Behr wrote: I'm so upset that I have to reschedule surgery next week for 3 months out. I just don't know if I can't take this waiting anymore! I'm upset with the doc office as well because I've been going through this process since Nov and they just now found out I have to do a 3 month supervised diet??? So frustrated and just want to screm! Sorry..just needed to vent and see if this has happened to any of you? I feel your pain, my wife went thru the same hoops then to find out that her insurance said no...

I used most of our savings for her surgery and mine, I cut the insurance hoops out of the loop.

I went in for a council about my surgery on a Monday and the following Monday i had the surgery 1 week..... BEST investment ive ever made

I know everyone cant do it, I barely could but i made it work...

good luck stay strong

For Movie reviews goto my Blog 

www.gastricgeek.com

lynnc99
on 6/15/11 12:47 am
Yes, it happened to me. My surgeon was ready to go a month after consult....but the insurance company require a 6 month supervised diet. After that, they kept pulling out one requirement after the other (stress test & cardiac clearance, sleep study, psychological eval, GI clearance because of H pylori, and on and on it went) They also wanted a full set of my PCP's chart notes to verify that obesity had been a long term health issue.

At this point, talk with your insurance company. There is probably no way you can change the 3 month requirement, but you CAN and SHOULD ask for the full list of things they will require for approval. Then you can use the 3 months to get everything in order.

Suggestion - be sure that YOU get copies of all documentation on anything you do.

And by the way, at the end of my lengthy wait for approval, I was much more mentally prepared than I would have been at the outset.
(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 1:00 am - clyde, OH
I am so sorry about your frustrations. I am very Lucky that my surgeons office is on top of the insurance thing. The surgeon himself requires a 3 month supervised diet in order to make sure you can make the lifestyle changes that are required for the surgery. They have a women that contacts your insurance and sends you a paper of what they require. She does this right after your consultation.

It has been a long road, almost a year. I am finally scheduled for July.

I hope that things get better for you.
c5felsspirit
on 6/15/11 2:36 am - lake cormorant, MS
DO NOT DESPAIR!!!!

It took me 18 months to get to have my surgery. Insurance requirements are just that...... requirements. Call your insurance company and get a list of their requirements. Call your surgeon office get a list of their requirements. Now that you have done that, make a list of all you need to do BEFORE surgery. Start doing them. Mark them off your list. Remember most everything that needs done MUST be doctor supervised!!!

My insurance required 6 months doctor supervised weight program. I counldnt be late seeing my doctor by more than a week. I had to have test upon test. I jumped thru their hoops and am much better for it. I learned about the programs, myself and the surgeries more in depth.

I wasnt thankful then for having to wait but I am now. I learned so much more in the waiting time!
Sarah   
Living for the moment. Living for me. Loving the moment. Loving me!!!

Michelle L.
on 6/15/11 2:48 am - Phoenix, AZ
 Yes, they should have told you up front. You should let your surgeon know that this is the sort of thing his office should be handling better. My surgeon's office went through my insurance requirements after my first seminar and told me that I'd have to do a 6-month supervised diet. Don't let this be a stumbling block -- use the time to do the diet, walk, swim, whatever so you'll be in the best shape possible before surgery. Help cut down that recovery time!

annaboo1
on 6/15/11 5:33 am - NC
Make sure your DR. that supervises the diet know your insurance's criteria for "supervision"! I had to do a 6 month one all over again, because I went in to weigh every other month instead of every month! Very frustrating. Just get all the info up front so you know what you are dealing with!

HW/SW/GW/CW                       
330/280/160/154
adamsamah
on 6/15/11 5:34 am - Nixa, MO
I know you probably don't want to hear this but this is probably the best thing that can have happened to you. As others have said, use this time to get yourself completely prepared. Chances are good that you have been obese for longer than three months and it will be great once it does happen. I had a six months program and I agree that working closely with your insurance is key. Ask if they have a caseworker who specializes on obesity surgery patients or if you have someone who will be the point person on your claim. I think the women at my insurance were as happy as I was after my surgery. We had actually become almost friends. It would be nice if your surgeon had know about your insurance but quite honestly many don't and it is yourvinsurance so make it work for you. Three months will fly past and you'll be so much better prepared.
Hugs and loveys,
Lana

Adamsamah, Lana
"WLS is about making better choices, a healthier lifestyle and seeing how little you can eat.  Portion control is the key to all weight loss surgeries.  Bottom line - it isn't how much you can eat - it is how little you can eat."

Celia S.
on 6/15/11 9:37 am - Grand Junction, CO
It is frustrating to have to wait even longer for something you want so bad it's all you can think about!

I didn't have this problem, personally, but I can totally understand how you feel. I was referred by my PCP to my surgeon's office who called me to get me signed up for their WLS seminar which was mandatory that I attend before I could schedule my consult. When they called me to sign me up for that they told me THEN that I had to do a 3 month supervised diet. I got started on it before I even had my consult.

As frustrating as all of this is, take this as an opportunity to acquaint yourself with the healthy, whole foods you will be eating after surgery, saying goodbye to all the junk you used to eat, and getting started on a regular exercise routine. That way the post-op transistion won't be as difficult for you. I'm really loving the fact that I have this opportunity myself.

Good luck, sweetie, and try not to worry -- you will get your surgery eventually and the 3 months will fly by! I'm already a month and a week into mine and it doesn't seem like it's been that long!
K_Behr
on 6/15/11 11:37 am
Thank you everyone for such positive replies! I've calmed down since this morning and have scheduled another surgery that I was supposed to have after having RNY..so at least it'll be productive between that surgery, the diet, and the excercise program. Trying not to think negatively and just move forward from here!