Homemade Greek Yogurt

Ladytazz
on 6/20/11 10:10 am
 I am not a cook and not handy at all but with the price of probiotics I was looking into natural ways to get in probiotics that don't cost a lot.  I discovered Kefir and I bought some at Trader Joe's but it was very expensive.  I decided to make my own and I am waiting on some kefir grains that I ordered.  While I was researching that I can across some sites that give instructions on making yogurt.  I decided that I didn't want to go all natural.  I found a free yogurt maker on Freecycle and I made my first batch this weekend.  The yogurt came out good but I decided to make it into greek yogurt since I usually eat that.  It is beyond easy.  All I did was pour the yogurt into a strainer lined with a coffee filter and let it drain until all the liquid was gone.  It took about 8 hours.  It reduced about 50% so 12 oz of yogurt made 6 oz of greek yogurt.  I had a taste and it was very good.  I am going to do this at least once a week and save on buying greek yogurt.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Sasrah1972
on 6/20/11 10:38 am - NY
I hate to be gross, but you can also do it with a CLEAN nude knee hi. Tie it over your sink faucet and let the whey drip out into your sink. It is fine to leave for a few hours, then refrigerate and start all over the next day!
Sasrah
RNY 5.17.11

Lorrainecma
on 6/20/11 11:15 am
 That sounds godd. Just curious as to how you made the homemade yogurt part??
Ladytazz
on 6/20/11 11:25 am
 It couldn't of been easier.  I got a yogurt maker with 7 jars.  I used about 40oz of low fat milk.  You can use whatever kind you like, low fat, nonfat or regular milk.  It just can't be ultra pasteurized.  I heated it up to 180 degrees and kept it there for about 30 minutes.  Keeping it at 180 degrees for an hour makes thicker yogurt but you don't have to.
After an hour I took it off the heat and let it cool to 110 degrees.  You could also put the pot in a sink with cold water and ice cubes to cool it faster.  After it hits 110 degrees I add about a cup or 2 of the milk to about 6 oz of unflavored yogurt.  I used an organic brand that had a lot of live cultures.  I mixed that up real well until it was smooth and then added it to the pot of milk and mixed it up real good so there were no lumps.
I poured the milk into the yogurt maker jars and put the jars in the yogurt maker.  The instructions say to check it after about 6 hours.  There should be a yellowish liquid on top that is called whey.  I think that took about 8 or so hours.  You could tell it was yogurt because it was thick and looked just like yogurt.
I covered the jars and put them in the refrigerator and let them cool, at least 3 hours.  After that I poured the yogurt into a strainer that had a coffee filter in it.  I let it drain until there was no more liquid and I had Greek yogurt, also called yogurt cheese.  I actually like the flavor better then store bought.  It isn't quite as tangy.  I hope that doesn't mean it didn't turn out right.  I figure the lost is about a dollar for the whole batch of yogurt.  It made about 12 oz of Greek yogurt.  I would have had more but I gave some of the regular yogurt to my neighbor to see how she liked it.

HeatherLane
on 6/20/11 11:35 am

You lost me at " it couldnt be easier " haha . Im horirble in the kitchen and altho that may be very easy to most of the population .. i can assure  you i would mess that up !! lol

Does this font make me look fat ? 
 Check out my blog ! http://asmallerass.blogspot.com/

Lorrainecma
on 6/20/11 10:43 pm
 Yum..This sounds delicious!!! 
Lady Lithia
on 6/20/11 11:20 am
I've strained regular yoghurt and made it greek ..... works a charm.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Ladytazz
on 6/20/11 11:27 am
 I was going to do that but this is cheaper and I know exactly what is in it.  No additives or anything I don't want, just pure yogurt.

msromagnola
on 6/20/11 11:41 am
Thanks for sharing.  I like homemade yogurt better than store bought too!  I guess it's less tangy because it's aged less - like cheese is less tangy if it's "younger".  Thanks for sharing about draining off the whey- I wondered about it and figured that's all it was for Greek yogurt, but wasn't exactly sure.

I plan to add some powdered milk in my next batch to up the protein.

MSROMAGNOLA
Heidi L.
on 6/20/11 2:23 pm - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Love making yogurt! Thank you so much for the tips on straining!!

1 gallon milk, heated to 110-115F
1 c. store bought yogurt, Stoneyfield is the best!
Mix the 2 together.
Pour into:
4 quart canning jars with plastic screw-on lids
Place these inside of your insulated cooler.
Fill the cooler half way up the side of the jars with hot tap water.
Let sit for 6 hours. Remove from cooler and place yogurt in the fridge.
The faster it turns into yogurt and is chilled the less it will sour.
Let it sit a little while and pour off the whey (yellowish liquid)
Strain like Ladytazz suggests. You can strain it in the fridge like this too so that it will not get tangier.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Most Active
Recent Topics