FINALLY home from hospital

YankeeRose
on 6/26/11 2:26 am - Meadville, PA
Just thought I'd update everyone. I had my lap RNY on Tuesday June 21st. Surgery was supposed to be at 9:30 AM and I didn't actually go into surgery until after 4 PM. Surgeon apparently had trouble with the surgery before mine. He said my surgery was more difficult than he imagined due to my hernia, scar tissue and adhesion's. I was supposed to stay in hospital for 2 days but didn't get to come home until Saturday evening. I was dehydrated and they kept pumping me full of fluids. I ended up gaining 35 lbs in fluid retention since morning of surgery! Needless to say I was very disappointed. I am still swollen but it is finally starting to come down a little. My belly is all bruised and swollen. Other than that I am doing pretty good. Pain isn't too bad and is controlled by the liquid pain meds. Once I got past the initial surgery pain and GAS...OMG...the gas! I only have 5 little holes on my belly that are glued. No drain tube which is good. All in all, experience wasn't too bad. I am glad to be home. Can't wait for swelling and uncomfortableness to go away so I can losing. I hope the 35 lbs I gained comes off quick. Surgeon says they should. Anyone else gain a lot of weight in fluids?? Oh, and THANK YOU all so much for your prayers and get well wishes. I am happy to be on the losers bench with you all!
 Tammy

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

heres2changingmylife
on 6/26/11 2:33 am
Glad that you are finally home and hopefully on the mend! Your experience with the fluids and IV sounds very similar to mine........Put on 22lbs while they pumped me full of IVs. I could hardly bend my knees due to the extra fluid. The good news is I took that weight off within a week.

Lucky you to have the glued surgical sites........I had the staples. Heal well and hope to see you at support meeting.

YankeeRose
on 6/26/11 2:37 am - Meadville, PA
Thanks Judy! Glad to hear I'm not alone on the weight gain. Who did your surgery? Yeah it is hard for my to bend my legs too. And my stomach so full and hard like I am 9 months pregnant! lol I am planning to come to the support group meeting and maybe even the nut class too.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

heres2changingmylife
on 6/26/11 2:42 am
Tammy, I had Dr. Kolenich. He is a little old school but went with him because I figured he had the most experience. See you soon.

Holly O.
on 6/26/11 2:36 am - FL
Glad your home Tammy!!  Take it easy and welcome to the loser's bench!!  -Holly
   Holly                                      
c5felsspirit
on 6/26/11 2:38 am - lake cormorant, MS
I am so happy that you are home and on the mend!!! I too had some fluid retention but it goes away fast. As for the gas.... WALK WALK WALK.... SIP SIP SIP......

Good luck and WELCOME!!
Sarah   
Living for the moment. Living for me. Loving the moment. Loving me!!!

Tammy G.
on 6/26/11 2:57 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Glad you are home, Tammy.  That fluid will come off and you'll feel a whole lot better!  My doc "drained" me while in the hospital...I swear more than 3 gallons came out of my catheter and each gallon is 8 pounds.  It was crazy watching the staff empty that bag into 2 quart containers over and over.  !Welcome to the Loser's Bench!
LJ1972
on 6/26/11 2:59 am - FL
Yay! Welcome home!
kgee
on 6/26/11 3:00 am - MD
Welcome Home Tammy!!  And Welcome to the loser's bench!

Tha****er weight will come off quickly now that you are home and the gas will go away too.  My surgeon told me 5 days at most (and that was w/ walking a lot).

Glad to hear you are feeling minimal pain and doing well.  :-)

MerMer
on 6/26/11 3:03 am
Welcome Home and to the loooossseerrs bench. YAY!!!!
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views