how do you approach another wls person?

Carrie W.
on 6/26/11 6:33 am - KY
I joined a gym Friday and I've been every day since to use the pool.  Today at the pool there was a lady who I really suspect has had wls.  She's got a whole bunch of extra skin and her shoulders are sort of boney looking, like mine.  I wanted to talk to her but I don't know how to approach someone.  I'm only 3 months out and while I've lost about 70lbs total, I don't look like I've lost weight, kwim? 

Any suggestions on how to approach this person?  I'd love to talk to her about her journey and her fitness but I just don't know how. 

Thanks!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Zombie
on 6/26/11 6:48 am
Try something simple to break the ice, like, "Hi I'm new here, how long have you been working out here?" Try breaking the ice first then kinda ease into it. Don't be afraid to be the one to step up first and say, "I had this surgery and wanted to get into better shape do you have any suggestions?" Maybe you can find out at that point if she had something done. I know its not much, I hope it helps. Congrats on your continued success.

~Paul~

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/11 7:28 am - Boston, MA
 I agree I don't think you can say "hey did you have wls surgery" but get friendly with her and tell her you had it, if she did as well I'm sure she will fess up!  Have fun swimming!!
mimob
on 6/26/11 7:46 am
I had a tank top on the other day, and my batwings were in full view.  A complete stranger approached me and asked how much weight I had lost.  I was perplexed for a moment, since I didn't know her or even recognize her.  She said "I could tell from your arms that you've lost weight, just like my arms.  Once you're over 40 there's very little skin elasticity left."  I had a total "A HA!" moment, and we carried on a conversation then about what's keeping us on track etc.  Turns out she lost 108 lbs just cutting out carbs.  I told her I had WLS, which was her next step if her carb-free diet didn't work. 

Long story short (ok, not really!), the gal at your gym has lost weight somehow, and that alone will be a good ice breaker.  Add it to the fact that you're both there to improve your health, and you have some commonalities for ice breakers.  Tell her she looks great, ask her how long she's been going there, where did she buy that cute swimsuit, yada yada.  Just take a deep breath and smile and go for it!

Good luck,
Amy

LJ1972
on 6/26/11 7:55 am - FL
I agree with the make small talk first....
kgee
on 6/26/11 9:45 am - MD
 Start with the small talk... if she's a talker it'll come out when  you share with her that you had WLS.  

Good luck and have fun working out!

Emily P.
on 6/26/11 11:56 am - Southgate, MI
My advice....

You fess up about surgery first.  After you talk about normal things.....

Good  Luck!!!

It's not all glitter and rainbows.  

Carrie W.
on 6/26/11 1:41 pm - KY
Thanks everybody! If I see her again, I'll just try some small talk. She was there with her mom and so was I. At least that's something we have in common.
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Most Active
Recent Topics