what medicine to take instead?

bypassobesity
on 7/1/11 4:59 am
This coming Wed i will be getting an IUD, my ob/gyn recommends that I take ibuprofen (Which I know is a big no-no). I want to know what is a safe pain reliever that I can take?

On a side note (WOMEN ONLY)......does the IUD insertion hurt?

Thank you everyone

DComstock2010
on 7/1/11 5:02 am - CA
I took Tylenol.
RNY- 2/18/2011

bypassobesity
on 7/1/11 5:08 am
Thank you!

_Donna_
on 7/1/11 5:12 am
tylenol is about all you can take.
my daughter got an iud and she had some cramping afterwards

RNY 5-5-2011

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/11 5:21 am
I've had two IUDs, one after my youngest was born in 2005 and then the second last year where they took the old one out and immediately inserted the new one. I didn't need tylenol or ibuprofen before or after each procedure. I would say that it feels like a hard pinch, from the inside out, if that makes it any since. Very mild, momentary discomfort but no true "pain".

That being said, everybody is different but I LOVE my IUD
Mandee
on 7/1/11 5:25 am - NY
I had my IUD inserted about 3 years ago.  It didn't hurt badly at all.  I had what felt like intense period cramps for several hours after.  I would recommend taking tylenol, getting rest and it helped me to put my feet up.  It passed quickly.  Good luck!

pregnancy calendar

laura_vermont
on 7/1/11 5:54 am
My 1st IUD insertion was very quick and just had some mild cramping after.  My 2nd one, which was immediately after removal of the 1st, hurt quite a bit. 

BUT -- I would definitely do a 3rd!  Love that I have no TOM! 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

seashell6417
on 7/1/11 8:13 am - Gaylord, MN
Just cramping  for me that ended by the time I left the doctor's office.  I did not need anything for pain.
Tami