Smells right after surgery

Solon
on 7/1/11 8:29 am - Arkadelphia, AR
Could anyone else be enrolled in like the Justice League of America (superheroes!) for their sense of smell after surgery?

I can smell baking bread from like 4 miles away...

My neighbor was just cooking across the street, and I could tell exactly what she was cooking without seeing it.

Just wondering if this is common... this is a very strange new development in my journey!
~ Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.        
YankeeRose
on 7/1/11 8:57 am - Meadville, PA
Couldn't help wondering if you are a chef (noting your outfit in the picture!) Maybe that has something to do with it. Although smells are getting to me too. Right after surgery (I was still in the hospital) they took me down to have an ultra sound on my legs and I could smell popcorn. Then one morning they were bringing around the breakfast trays and I could smell the toast and it was making me nauseous. I asked the nurse to shut my door because I couldn't stand the smell. Well she didn't. A little while later she came back again and again I asked her to close my door. She said surely you couldn't still be smelling that, the breakfast are long gone. I told her Yes I could still smell it and it was making me sick! So, you are not alone. I hope it gets better soon.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

fickleme
on 7/1/11 9:56 am - Bessemer City, NC
Omgeezy... Yes yes yes... My sense of smell right after surgery was super intense... I could smell soda from an empty cup in another room... Everything was intensified... Good and bad... But now at almost 3 months out it has gotten better
Mandee
on 7/1/11 9:57 am - NY
Me too!  The weird thing is that certain things smell delicious but at the same time I have no desire to eat them.  I made my daughter a grilled cheese sandwich last night and I don't think ever noticed that grilled cheese smelled so good.  When I was preggers my sense of smell was super sensitive, but all the smells made me nauseous.  This time, I just notice them, sigh and sip away at the protein shake.

pregnancy calendar

losing-jennifer
on 7/1/11 10:08 am
I'm 4 weeks post op and that finally went away. Unfortunately it was the unpleasant smells that were magnified for me.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

GastricKitty
on 7/1/11 10:10 am - VA
 I'm 12 days post op and my sense of smell is very intensified. I went to Barnes and Noble with my boyfriend to have a change of scenery for my walk and I could smell every restaurant nearby. 
qnmimi
on 7/1/11 9:38 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I understand it's part of ketosis, with the rapid weight loss. I was super sensitive to most smells, and had to hide out when food was cooking as it made me nauseated! Thankfully, the worst of it only lasted about 1-1/2 weeks or so.

Mary B.
on 7/1/11 11:45 pm, edited 7/1/11 11:45 pm - Southern, MD
YES! It should start ease up a little in a few days.

For me after it eased up, I still had some trouble for about 2 months post op. About 5 weeks out, I was out with friends and they went into a cupcake shop. I walked in with them, then promptly turned right around and walked out and had to continue to walk down the street. The smells literally made me feel like I was going to pass out.

It did eventually go away. Now it doesnt really bother me anymore.

Edited to add:

It was more sweet smells for me after the initial recovery period. Thankfully, I was able to finish out my product ID and Latin cuisine classes. Those smells didnt bother me as much. Hope you dont have too much trouble.

Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Bill B.
on 7/2/11 1:21 am - NJ
I couldn't smell anything for at least the last ten years and since the surgery I can smell all different things! Some good, some bad. The only thing is I usually don't know what it is I am smelling. LOL

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views