paxil? other antidepressants

gochristy1971
on 7/5/11 3:38 am - CA
So, I've been clinically depressed for many years.  I did not expect surgery to change this fact.  But, many months prior to surgery, I had decided I was "better" and weaned off my medication (paxil).  What I have learned is that what made me "better" was the meds.  So, I have an appointment tomorrow with a psychiatrist to be evaluated for meds again.  I know paxil worked well for me prior to surgery; does anyone take it?  I know I should not have the extended release (my insurance won't cover xr anyway).  Any reason to believe it won't work for me again?

Also, before anyone tells me something I already know, I am going to ask to be seen by a therapist as well for talk therapy.  I think in my case, it's two-fold.  I need the paxil to get leveled off, and the therapy for continued help with my issues.
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Mary B.
on 7/5/11 4:25 am - Southern, MD
Before my revision, I had been taking Celexa. About 2 months after surgery, I started feeling like I was falling to pieces. I know alot of people complain about the hormones going out of whack.

I visited my doc and we decided to change up the meds.

Im taking Cymbalta now. That is extended release I believe. Either way, it seems to be working for me.

Good luck to you.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

pam17
on 7/5/11 4:53 am - AZ
Was on Paxil for 5 years and packed on 50 extra pounds (paxil can be  carb. craver for some people, me one of them!!) I went off of it anD WENT ON LEXAPRO IT WAS VERY EXPENSIVE AND NOW AM ON CELEXA (40) and it is great.

Dave Chambers
on 7/5/11 6:04 am - Mira Loma, CA

Patients will respond to different antidepressants in varying ways.  From a chart I saw a couple of years ago, it appears that all antidepressants seem to be absorbed pretty well, as long as they are not extended release forms.  Paxil may or may not work now.  I'm still on Welbutrin, and I began using that med several years prior to my RNY.  It will likely take at least 6 weeks to tell whether any specific antidepressant or the recommended dosage will have any effect. You'll likely have to work with your psych doc to vary antidepressant, combine antidepresants, and/or vary dosages to find something that seems to work for you.  I have to attend medication group sessions with my psych doc, and I listen to a wide variety of experiences of patients adapting to their meds.  Yes, the antidepressants will work, and a many post ops take them. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views