OT: Preserving squash?

Carrie W.
on 7/12/11 1:08 am - KY
I have 3 wonderful squash plants that are really outdoing themselves.  I love squash but since surgery, I can't eat that much of it.  Is there anyway to preserve it?  I can freeze, can or dehydrate. 
I wonder if dehydrated squash would rehydrate in like a stir fry?  The only thing I've dehydrated before were apples and I used those for pies .....

If I do dehydrate it, is it safe for me to eat it in that form?  I wondered about it sort of blowing up in my pouch or intestines.  But then I don't drink with meals, kwim? 

I got some squash chips from an Amish grocery but I think they might have been deep fried.  I'm not sure what the problem was (grease, salt, lack of moisture) but they made me very, very sick.  I think I dumped but the nausea was bad too.  Won't do that again!!

Thanks!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Cherylkas
on 7/12/11 1:35 am - PA
 I would blanch them then freeze them to use later. This is what my parents do with what they have from the garden.  I too would worry about dehydrating them. 
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Most Active
Recent Topics