Worried and can't sleep

heavy13
on 7/13/11 7:21 pm - IN
 I will be having my surgery friday, tomorrow. I have had other surgeries in my life and did just fine, but for some reason this one scares me. I've thought long and hard about it and it's not the lifestyle change, giving up certain foods and having to exercise. It's not really the anything I can pin point except for the reaction of other people. My sister begged me not to have this surgery, my adult children also. However my beloved husband is worried but supportive. They all seem to think I might die on the operating table. My sister has begged me and begged me to just go on a diet. My kids keep telling me how much they still need me and they are scared. It's kind of giving me the creeps! My doctor has carefully explained the surgery to me and I know I need it. I had been looking forward to a new start and was so happy when I got a surgery date. Now everybody is freaking me out. Has anyone else gone though this kind of family pressure and fear? I could use some reassurance right about now!
Thanks,
Laura

SweetGirl11
on 7/13/11 7:55 pm

Hi Laura!  You are not alone!   I was TERRIFIED before my RNY two years ago.  I was worried about dying on the table.  I was worried about pain.  I was worried about everything!  I had a full-blown meltdown right before going into the operating room, crying my eyes out and having a panic attack.  I foolishly refused the sedative they offered me  before going into the OR; I bet they wished I had taken it just so I'd shut up!  LOL.  You're having last minute stage fright; it's normal.  You're making a life-changing decision and it's overwhelming!  You will get through it, and before you know it, you'll wake up in the recovery room!  Said a prayer for you and sending you huggs!!!  

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

DebsGiz
on 7/13/11 8:38 pm - FL

Hi Laura,

I think this is fairly common.  Of course the people who love you are worried; however, I oftentimes think they place their worry in the wrong direction.

While we are all taking a chance every time we undergo surgery, the real threat, as I see it, is continuing to remain obese.  We're all relatively confident that the outcome of obesity is not going to  go well, which is why even most insurance companies will pay for weight loss surgery.

As far as losing the weight without WLS, how many times have you tried that?  And, just how successful have you been long term?

I encourage you to focus on the positive, and let the negative leave your mind.  If something comes up that you had not anticipated, deal with it at that time.  Chances are you're worrying about things that will never come to pass... 

Wishing you much success and am looking forward to seeing you on the other side.

DEB

Holly O.
on 7/13/11 10:50 pm - FL
Deb,

I was very worried too!!  Normal.  I had the surgery a month ago and I have had zero problems............try to relax, and really you will do fine!  -Holly
   Holly                                      
Momma2nicknmike
on 7/14/11 3:56 am - Beavercreek, OH
 I was very worried too, as was my hubby and kids.   I even thought about canceling my surgery the night before. I think the worry is perfectly normal.  Hang in there!  Your new life is waiting for you!

Lynne    

Recent Topics