gave blood yesterday

Carrie W.
on 7/14/11 1:16 am - KY

The Red Cross had a huge blood drive yesterday and today.  Apparently the blood supply is way too low.  I have tried to give blood before but my iron was always too low.  I knew from my recent blood work that my iron is high now so .....  It went well.  The lady was great, hit the vein the first time.  I ended up talking to her about WLS. 

I was a bit light headed afterwards but not too bad.  And I'm fine today.  Might have to do that again!

Anybody else give blood post-op?

HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

Pupcake !.
on 7/14/11 2:10 am - Stranded in, IA
You are pretty gutsy I wouldn't have given this early out.

I used to be a regular donor B-.  I gave platelets and WBC too.  After having to have iron infusions and an ablation to keep my hgb low normal I know I can't.  My body can now keep up with itself as long as I don't have a period, and take special iron supps.

I wouldn't reccomend doing it much if at all

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Carrie W.
on 7/14/11 2:26 am - KY
My iron was high which is the only reason I considered it.  Well, that and the blood was needed. 

Pupcake !.
on 7/14/11 2:37 am - Stranded in, IA
Was your iron high or your HGB? 

How was your ferretin?

I know it's hard when they are having a shortage.

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

Carrie W.
on 7/14/11 2:44 am - KY
My HGB fit within the Red Cross's parameters.  My ferritin was high according to the lab that did my bloodwork a couple weeks ago.  I posted the blood work here and was told that the ferritin was high but not dangerously so.  My PCP wasn't worried about it either.  I'm redheaded and fair.  I've always been anemic and always taken iron supplements.  

turningpoint
on 7/14/11 2:29 am
I know my surgeon mentioned something about giving blood post op, but I don't remember as I knew it didn't apply to me.  Unfortunately, I ended up on the "never can donate" list because of Mad Cow Disease.  I lived in the UK for 2 years during the time period that is of concern for the disease.
Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/11 2:58 am
I am getting iron infusions next week. And leaving in Europe for many years - excludes me from giving back.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/11 2:59 am, edited 7/14/11 2:59 am
I hope your iron and feritin stays high in the future. Mine dropped really bad after the first year.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Carrie W.
on 7/14/11 3:12 am - KY

Do you have any idea what made the difference? 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/14/11 3:40 am, edited 7/14/11 3:43 am
nope. My doc and I are not sure.
But most likely a few things nobody could predict:
1. I had a few surgeries.. including 2 hernia surgeries, breast lift and then Lower body lift.  Most likely my body never recovered from them.
2. I have to be on Omerprozole - antacid - due to recurring ulcers..
3. I am in menopause now - hormonal changes - so my body may be more resistant to absorbing any iron..  Also I developed RH - reactive hypoglycemia - no data that specifies or discuss that issues and iron...

And there is another possibility - a potential blood leak somewhere (not very likely).  Once I get all the iron, they will test my blood and test again and monitor every 3-4 months. Depends on the numbers - they can determine if there is a small leak anywhere in my body and makes me to lose the blood ever so slowly. 

Post op RNY _ we do have problem with iron absorption - most of us do.  And we have an increased risks for surgery - with each surgery - we will lose blood. And then we may even have more trouble absorbing iron and other minerals. Each surgery - that deals with intestines - may cause a potential slow leak.. not enough to show on cat-scans , or other lab - but enough to make us drained and lose the vital minerals.   Low proteins and other minerals - may mean that we may have issues absorbing iron.  Some of my other minerals or enzymes are depleted - and that does not allow my body to retain iron or even other vitamins or minerals.
i.e. my B12 was fine... the I was getting more and more.. now I get weekly injections of B12 and my B12 is just 800...  And I do eat a lot of red meat, liver, and greens. 

Most Active
Recent Topics