calcium/ fosamax

enasangels
on 7/16/11 5:59 am - PA
I need help with this one.  I don't post often, but I had a bone density scan done on July 10th,and they compared it with the one I had in Jan 09 before my surgery.  I have diminished bone mass, which I guess is no surprise.  My daughter right away wants to blame it on my WLS, however I am also post menopausal,and going to be 62 in Sept. so it is more than likely a combination of these.  Anyway my PCP wants me to take Fosamax.  I went on WebMD and read reviews, and really don't want to take this after reading the postings.  My other problem is I am not a dairy person, never was.  However I have tried to push myself to use it only to find out, I can no longer tolerate milk, or ice cream.  I can tolerate yogurt, and although I can do cheese too, I don't like it.  I know that there are other foods that I can use, but don't feel that it will be enough.  Has anyone taken Fosamax, and what was your experience with it.  Also I feel I will need a good grade of calcium with vita D.  Anyone have a good source for that?  Thanks in advance for letting me vent, as I am quite  upset and concerned at this point.  Any info would be appreciated.
Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

poet_kelly
on 7/16/11 6:32 am - OH
Have you been taking calcium citrate?  We need 1500-2000 mg of that every day.  Any brand is fine as long as it's calcium citrate, not carbonate.  You can use Citracal or a generic if you want pills you swallow, or order chewables from Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage.

Have you had your vitamin D level checked lately?  Have you been taking any D3?  If you haven't been taking any, and maybe even if you have, your D is probably low.  If your D level is lower than 80, you won't absorb calcium well no matter how much you take.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lynni
on 7/16/11 10:30 am
I'm in the same age range and had the same results before RNY.  My Doctor prescribed a  nasal spray called Fortical.  One spray into one nostril a day.

enasangels
on 7/16/11 10:35 am - PA
Kelly,
It's really weird, we have never talked, I have seen you on here before, and when I thought about posting I just knew you were going to be the one who answered.  I have not been taking my calcium as regularly as I should.  The tablets are so large, and two are needed at a time, and then three times a day.   I have resolved to getting back to basics, I think most of us slip in the supplement area at times.  I did have my vit. D level checked and it was low so they put me on 10,000 units once a week.  I started that back in March.  I knew about the calcium citrate, and have ordered some of the chewables from BA.  I just don't want to take this Fosamax as it just does not sound like a good idea.  Thanks for answering and your input.  I also sent vitalady and email to see what she suggests.
Thanks Again, Ena

enasangels
on 7/16/11 10:37 am - PA
Thanks Lynni I will check that out as an option also.
Ena

_Donna_
on 7/16/11 10:48 am
I'm curious about this subject too. I am postmenopausal and already have osteopenia. I've seen commercials on tv about boniva, i wonder if it's the same as fosamax? I'm sure I will have to take something sooner than later.

RNY 5-5-2011

YankeeRose
on 7/16/11 12:13 pm - Meadville, PA
I also have osteoporosis and used to take Fosamax. I quit taking it because it caused me to have severe leg cramps that would not go away. They were so bad that they would feel like a Charley horse and would last for days. This was before RNY. I would not recommend it.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?