omeprazole

Don27516
on 7/20/11 10:35 am - NC
 My insurance company is jerking me around about my omeprazole. They don't want to pay for it anymore. My doctor said I might need to get some OTC to get me through until they convince my insurance to pay up. My perscription was capsules. All I can find at the store are tablets. Does it matter if they are capsules or tablets?

Carebearny1999
on 7/20/11 10:38 am - Rochester, NY
Shouldn't matter if it's capsules or tablets.  FYI--I didn't do well pre-op on the OTC stuff, didn't work as well.  Perhaps your Dr. would be willing to say you tried them and they didn't work for you? 

_Donna_
on 7/20/11 10:40 am
Most insurance companies deny it because it is available OTC.
Tablet or capsule shouldnt make a difference because both will dissolve and go into your blood stream.

RNY 5-5-2011

roxie46
on 7/20/11 11:04 am
I am on the same thing you are on.I was on previcid by scrip but now they have that one OTC. They worked well for me when I was taking them, just that I have medicaid for my scrips so they stopped paying for many meds I used to take so my doc gave me the generic brand since I can get them for 3 months at a time. the previcid are capsules but it does not matter if you take the tablets or capsules. I had my surgery in May and my doc said that in 6 months , which is in November he be taking me off to see how that goes. He did say it may work for some time but some may still have to take them. Good luck in finding some that works for you......Roxanne
ThinnerAngel
on 7/20/11 11:13 am - Rochester, NY
I went through the same "jerking"...90 day omeprazole through medicare was under $9. It's same same. Good Luck.

Price S.
on 7/20/11 11:22 am - Mills River, NC
I got the same thing.  They finally did approve it for another 6 months but that is almost over.  We'll see what happens next.  I did the OTC stuff for a while when waiting to be approved and it worked just as well, just more expensive.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Jflyny
on 7/20/11 11:33 am
Be sure the dose is the same. I am on the capsules and they are 40mg. OTC omeprazole are 20mg.

Kim26
on 7/20/11 12:19 pm
I am on Omeprazole too - do you all take the pill in the AM or the PM?  It was prescribed for morning...but it seems like I am taking them at night because I try to eat within an hour of waking and I don't think you are supposed to take with or near food.  Thanks!

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)