Corn on the Cobb?

kevinj
on 7/20/11 9:35 am - NY
I know corn is very starchy but will it hurt to have it every now and then? I am 8 months out. Thanks in advance.

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 9:43 am - Boston, MA
 doesnt hurt me! I'm 4 months and have been eating it for a month now... yum!!
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 9:56 am - FL
I have a question.  I find that everything I eat has to be chewed to almost nothing.  Don't you have problem with the corn getting stuck some since it can't be chewed down much?
(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 10:32 am - Boston, MA
 I don't have that problem, the only thing I have to chew more than 'normal" is chicken and beef other than that I chew things the same as I did pre op.
dasie
on 7/20/11 9:49 pm
If you haven't tried it already, you might want to try shoe peg corn.  It is smaller and more tender.  That won't solve the corn on the cobb issue unless you find the kind that is small and very tender.  When I first started eating corn it had to be shoe peg.

ktharp89
on 7/20/11 9:58 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 I couldn't have corn on the cob for the first three months but now if I chew a lot I can handle it. It is so tasty. I don't have it often though. I think a lot of people do have trouble with corn.
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

rlw99
on 7/20/11 10:33 am, edited 7/19/11 10:33 pm - Oakland, CA
Many RNY patients are told that we cannot have really fiberous foods like corn and celery at all after gastric bypass surgery, as they are harder to digest in our new systems because we don't produce as much stomach acids to break down the food. As such, corn and celery are more likely to get stuck in the pouch and/or cause an intestinal blockage.

If you do eat corn after gastric bypass surgery, I would recommend chewing very carefully and small amounts at a time. If the corn gets stuck on it's way through the intestine, one might experience abdominal cramping or abdominal distention. Nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain are signs that one may have developed an intestinal blockage.

My two cents? Be aware and proceed with caution!

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 10:42 am - FL
Wow!  Thanks for the info.  I love corn, but not that much.  lol
Cherylkas
on 7/20/11 10:54 am - PA
 I would love to have corn on the cob...my favorite summer food. But on my plan it is not aloud for at least 6 months because of how tough it can be on the pouch. So next yr...
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

poet_kelly
on 7/20/11 11:17 am - OH
I have no problem with it.  I eat it a lot in the summer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 342 views