Post op help

StefRN33
on 7/26/11 10:30 am - Lemon Springs, NC
 I just had my surgery on Friday 7/22 and I'm on the clear fluid diet until this Friday.  This is harder than I expected, I'm not hungry by any means which is good....but I am grieving food greatly the last few days.  I miss the act of eating.  I have started a new job and during our orientation days they have served us lunch...spinich wraps with turkey and vegies in them (my fav food ever!).  I wonder if I will ever be able to eat the vegies I love like salad and wraps again?  Everything I have read says that my new stomach will not process leafy vegies very well.   I'm starting to feel as if my decision was a mistake, it was aweful watching everyone else eat while I drank clear fluids.  This is hard, I miss chewing.  Does anyone have any tips, or motivational things to say to help me thru these first few weeks.  One thing I am glad of is that I don't feel hungry.  I have already lost 8 lbs since surgery date but don't really see where b/c my stomach is swollen from surgery still.  Please tell me it gets better than this!
Dave Chambers
on 7/26/11 10:37 am - Mira Loma, CA
Each patient is slightly different. Some people may have this issue, but you may not. You won't really know until you actually try it.  On the other hand, having an issue with a food one day, does not mean you won't be able to tolerate it at another time.  You can chew SF popsicles. I got a Rival kids snowcone maker. Add SF flavorings and then eat with a spoon. Keeps you hydrated and offers you something to chew early out. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

StefRN33
on 7/26/11 12:16 pm - Lemon Springs, NC
 Thanks, that was encouraging!  I will try that out.
barbiieedoll
on 7/26/11 7:55 pm
Hi Dave, I just became a member earlier this week. I wanted to thank you for your many posts. I am waiting for my date of surgery and wanted to find out more and prepare ahead. Your posts have been the best...no one else seems to do anything.
I was debating on lap band or gastric and am leaning to gastric for better results.
Thanks again for your many ideas.

Barbie
poet_kelly
on 7/26/11 10:39 am - OH
Most likely you'll be able to eat salads and wraps again.  What have you read that said your new stomach won't process leafy veggies well?  I'm pretty sure most post ops can eat salad.  Just not the first couple of months, probably.

Just remember this is temporary.  In time, you'll be able to eat most things again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

StefRN33
on 7/26/11 12:18 pm - Lemon Springs, NC
 I had read it in my packet I got from the surgeons office, if I'm not mistaken it said that leafy vegies and grains would be out for a long while.  And the nutritionist told me that I would have to chew everything to applesause consistency before swallowing when I did get to solid foods.  Please tell me that I will be able to eat healthy salad type foods again...at least there is hope if I can hear that.  Thanks for your encouragement!  It did help
poet_kelly
on 7/26/11 12:23 pm - OH
Well, everyone is different, but I'd be really surprised if you couldn't eat salads.  I'm trying to remember if I've seen any posts here on OH from people that can't tolerate lettuce and I can't recall any.  I've seen posts from people that can't tolerate bread, pasta, eggs, meat, sugar, carbonated drinks, milk and other dairy products, but can't recall anyone that can't tolerate lettuce.  There could be someone out there, but it's sure not common.

Lately, I've been eating salad almost every day because it's so hot out.  It doesn't bother me at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tenaciousc1974
on 7/26/11 10:52 am - CA
I feel your pain! I haven't eaten real food you can chew since 7-9. tomorrow is my first day chewing something! For the last few days I have been lusting after food, dreaming about food (really!), thinking about food, and pondering life without the ability to eat anything I want, whenever I want at whatever quantity I want. All I can tell you from what I have read on these boards is that it gets better, and over time, people don't regret the surgery. That's what I am banking on. Hang in there!
Chris

start/pre-op/current/goal weights:  286/240/138/130

barbiieedoll
on 7/26/11 7:59 pm
And how do you feel inside, heathier? Do you regret having this surgery?
lapbandlisa
on 7/26/11 11:52 am

Thanks for posting this. I'm also worried for the same thing when I have my surgery.  Congrats on your weight loss :-)

Lisa

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 527 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 215 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 414 views