HELP!! 5 year post op weight gain

Kathy ...
on 7/28/11 9:21 pm - CA
I have completely lost my way...life has gotten the better of me and I've gained back 40 pounds and can't fine the motivation that I had 5 and half years ago when I started this journey.  Any helpful tips are greatly appreciated.
 Kat the Brat
Vivian Prouty
on 7/28/11 9:32 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 Kathy....there are MANY things that we can do to get back on track.   First off ( and I know you know this ) get those PROBLEM foods out of your house.    Whether it be crackers, chips, candy or whatever you are eating that is not healthy.    You can do the 5 day pouch test ( 5daypouchtest.com ) and that will de-carb your system.    I have tried the 17 Day Diet and it works and is very doable with RNY.    It isn't really a diet.   It is a eating program that when you eat the foods that this doctor ( who wrote the book ) tells you to eat it works.    That is ALL I can say.     Also if you are not exercising, walking or moving your body....you won't loose any weight.    It gets harder the farther post op you become to get the weight off.   Good luck to you and if you need any encouragement.....PM me ANYTIME.    I will give you more suggestions.   I am almost 6 yrs. post op and I feel your pain.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian   

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/28/11 10:30 pm, edited 7/28/11 11:41 pm - Windsor, Canada
You'll find some info in this post that may help you. Ignore the sister part as I cut and pasted.

Yes this is a huge turning point for so many of us.  That 2-3 year mark is where often regain comes into play.  This is typically attributed due to our body compensating for the lack of malabsorption (hence it is no longer malabsorbing X amount of calories, so it perceives that you are taking in more calories, hence a weight gain).

Could also be due to us being a little lax on monitoring our calories, carbs etc.

But it is known  that at the 1.5 -2 year mark is where we statistically reach our lowest weight (most of us anyway) and that many of us then proceed to regain 10-20% of our excess weight loss.  People that are very vigilian****ching the scale and reduce calories may combat this regain and not see a jump on the scale but many of us unfortunately do.

You can let your sister know about this statistic so that perhaps she'll understand and be prepared for when her time has come...but honey, the first two years are "glorious", every year after that can be a struggle with food once again. I wish I was in those glory days of the first few years. 

Educate her and then perhaps she'll stop the teasing.

If you want to lose the regain, you are going to have to toughen up on your diet, restrict your calories and get back to basics.  Monitor fat/protein/carb ratios once again and make sure that it is all about protein first.  It's doable but I find losing 15 lbs of regain was even harder than the first 130 lbs  hang in there!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

cajungirl
on 7/28/11 10:36 pm
(((Kathy)))

I can only reiterate what Dawn said.  I also recommend you continue to come to OH regularly for support and encouragement.  This journey has so many ups and downs, only those that have been there, done that truly understand.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

poet_kelly
on 7/29/11 12:39 am - OH
I can only imagine how stressful, and scary, that must be.

I think what I would do is start journaling your food intake, tracking your calories and protein.  Then I'd make an appointment with a dietician and go over your food journal and see what advice she might have for you.

I'm sure exercise would be a great idea too but I am not good about that at all so if I'm going to be honest I can't say I would do that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 54 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 243 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views