Will I ever be able to eat normal again?

T V.
on 8/3/11 8:50 am
I went and bought broiled alaskan white fish tonight. I am on the pureed/ mushy food stage. To me it was very soft and I chewed it well. But, then my chest started hurting like it was stuck in my throat. It is times like these when I wonder, will I ever be able to move on to the solid food stage??? Please help!

Mandee K.
on 8/3/11 8:53 am - St George, UT
I am almost a year out and I can remember feeling the same way you do now.  I promise it will come just take your time and know that you will get there it just takes time.  And when you do get there just make sure you chew really good :)
losing-jennifer
on 8/3/11 9:02 am
I'm a month ahead of you and I was wondering that tonight after getting chicken stuck. I have to keep saying "this isn't forever". Hang in there.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 8/3/11 9:04 am
Fish isn't really pureed or mushy enough. It's dense protein and has a lot of texture. I had trouble with fish early out but eat it a lot now. I could do hamburger at 5 weeks but fish was like 2 or 3 months out. When you try something new eat a bite and wait 20 minutes or so. see if it sits well before you get a bunch in your stomach then find out it's not working for you. Remember if yo're newly out of surgery a bite or two is a meal - any more and you'll be in pain, or at least uncomfortable and get that heavy feeling - that's over full.
Jen 9 yrs post op
dragonfly123
on 8/3/11 9:45 am - OK

I'm almost 10 years out and just got sick on a piece of pork chop that I didn't chew well.  So, although it get's easier you still have to chew, chew, chew!  Be thankful for this time because youe weight loss is going to be rapid.  The more food options you have the more you have to be careful to avoid regain.

Used2Bthin
on 8/3/11 9:53 am - Canada
I am at 4.5 months and it does get better but the change is for life.  I tried eating tuna very early on and I found it very difficult to eat.  Now I can eat it but it is not a first choice for me.  You really will just have to experiment as everyone is different.  Lots of people have problems with chicken and steak but can eat hamburger.  I personally can eat chicken and steak but get sick if I eat a chunck of hamburger.

Also, what you try now and what works 3 months from now will be different so you really just need to retry a food you like every few weeks to see if it is easier going down.

Hang in, life gets so much better the more you loose.
     Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat.  Open RNY March 28 2011.  Start weight 253 current weight 122.       
Lori P.
on 8/3/11 10:07 am - Kenosha, WI
You will get to a new normal for you.  There are still lots of foods I will not eat because they hurt.  Hamburger and pork never work...some kinds of fish are also hard on me. I have found lots of things that do work....so all is good!

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

curvaceousdiva
on 8/3/11 10:16 am - Hyattsville, MD
chica I would suggest doing "cheap" flaky fish like tilipia and others that are rather dissenergratable.  I am 15 months out and still cant do beef or pork that often...
normal sorta depends. there are things that I cant eat post op cause it pretty much hurts....
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
T V.
on 8/3/11 11:10 am
Thank all of you for your response. I guess I will just slow down and give it a few weeks. Thanks again!
poet_kelly
on 8/3/11 11:20 am - OH
Everyone is able to eat fairly normal again eventually, I think.  Maybe a very tiny percent of people have problems tolerating lots of different foods forever, but most people eat pretty normally a couple years out (or sooner).  Large amounts of sugar make me sick but I can eat one cookie or a few bites of cake.  Pasta feels pretty heavy in my pouch but I can eat a few bites without getting too uncomfortable.  Otherwise, I eat pretty much normal food, just on the healthy side, and small amounts. 

I wonder if part of your issue right now is that you're not sticking to your doc's food plan so well.  Perhaps I misunderstood, but did you puree that fish before you ate it?  If you stick to pureed foods until your doc says to advance your diet, you may not have as much trouble with stuff getting stuck.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 62 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 361 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 359 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 303 views