Anybody's eyes change?

Carrie W.
on 8/4/11 9:19 am - KY
I'm 4 months post op.  I had to get an eye exam today because I'm in desperate need of contacts.  My prescription has changed!!  My eyesight has actually gotten better!!  The optometrist said that she sees lots of rny people and it's fairly common for our eyes to get better.  I was amazed.  Has this happened to anybody else?
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

NIXMOMMIE
on 8/4/11 9:24 am - NC
Mine are actually worse. Dr said maybe due to decreased caloric intake and sugars may be fluctuating. I am now checking my sugar when my eyesight is really bad. I had to get a new script for glasses and sadly BIFOCALS. Ugh!!!! But I am also over 40 and have worn glasses since I was 5 yrs old. Go figure. great news Carrie. You are doing awesome.
Celia S.
on 8/4/11 9:24 am - Grand Junction, CO
I honestly cannot speak from experience, but knowing that many of us pre-ops are suffering from diabetes (which can most definitely affect the eyesight) and knowing RNY reverses diabetes, I can totally see how the surgery and improved eyesight could be related!

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/11 9:40 am - Memphis, TN
Sweet! I'm not diabetic but I do have terrible eyesight. I hope mine gets better!
Carrie W.
on 8/4/11 9:42 am - KY
I dunno if it has anything to do with diabetes.  I wasn't diabetic.  It's in my family both type 1 and 2 but my blood sugar has always been dead on normal.  Either way, I'm tickled.  I didn't have to get new lenses for my glasses so more contacts for me!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

JUDY C.
on 8/4/11 9:59 am - Bear, DE
My vision actually got worse.  I asked my surgeon about this and he said it was very common.  He said your eyes automatically squint with all the fat around the eyes.  One squints to see better.  As you loose weight, you don't squint anymore.  My vision must have really been bad for years!  I now wear glasses- bifocals!

~Believe in Yourself~

afrog777
on 8/4/11 10:14 am - Houston, TX
My vision got worse! I need bifocals to be able to see...oh well at least I got cute glasses

iisme
on 8/4/11 10:32 am
I wish mine would get better....mine got progressively worse once I hit 40

10 pounds loss pre-op
marioluigi
on 8/4/11 12:02 pm
 I had my 2 year exam yesterday.  My prescription is exactly the same.  I had surgery 9 months ago.

I didn't think to ask the eye dr. anything about the surgery affecting this.  

I am 51 and had lots of changes in my 40's as well, including needing bifocals.  

Could be many of you are worsening because of being past 40 and not because of the surgery?
mimilarue
on 8/5/11 3:00 pm
 Hey Carrie - I just had mine checked a couple of weeks ago and yes, mine was better....the Dr said the same thing yours did.  Just another awesome perk I guess :)

This is a life long journey I am ready to take...bring it on   

241 at first consult
218 day of surgery 

Most Active
Recent Topics