Question about stuck food/objects and foamies

shellbell75
on 8/5/11 11:07 am, edited 8/5/11 11:08 am
So for the 2nd time while I was taking my meds I got a pill stuck. I ended up with the foamies. This time was different though. I got weak in my knees (I almost felt like I was going to pass out) I got so clammy and hot that I actually had sweat dripping off of me. I had to leave my twins unattended in their high chairs to lay down and put a fan on high right on me. I had more foamies (a pill never came up) and then the pain was gone and the pill was unstuck. Is this normal? It just freaked me out. All I kept thinking was what if I passed out with my 3 babies and I am the only one home.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

Dave Chambers
on 8/5/11 11:15 am - Mira Loma, CA
Taking pills requires some concentration as a post op.  Trying to feed infancts while you take pills probably isn't a good idea. Some post ops crush all pills, but I found that I did not need to do that.  I've gotten a pill stuck once or twice, usually when I tried to cut a pill in half.  I never take pills while trying to talk to anyone, and if someone asks me a question while I'm taking my pills, I hold up one finger to say "wait a minute".  When I had a stuck pill, I took a SMALL sip of water, gargled a second, and the pill became dislodged and went down.  If this is an issue for you, take one pill at a time, not a handful at once. I find that capsules are easier for me to swallow. I had issues with those larger calcium citrate pills. I take the same dosage in a large capsule, but it goes down without issue due to the rounded shape of the capsule.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

CarolBeth
on 8/5/11 11:17 am - SoCal, CA
I had the same thing happen to me just a couple of hours ago.  I got the bright idea to try some "petite" (HA!) calcium citrate pills instead of my UpCal D.  Bad idea.  I didn't think they looked very petite, but I tried it anyway.  I had sweat running off of me, and a tight chest and cramping as the pill tried to make it's way down.  Eventually the pain went away, and I could burp, and I felt fine again.  It might not be "normal", but I guess it happens.  Yuck!
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

Barbara C.
on 8/5/11 11:20 am - Raleigh, NC

Hi Shelly,

The foamies generally don't result in the type of reaction that you had. That reaction is more common with what is known as 'dumping' syndrome and is normally brought about by eating something that either is too high in fat and/or carbs and occurs as the food moves from your pouch into your newly plumbed digestive tract. Dumping syndrome normally lasts about 30 minutes or so with the symptoms you described, then they ebb and you feel like you've been through the wringer. Foamies occur when we ingest something too big for our pouch or too much volume and it gets stuck, causing the saliva to back up thereby providing the 'foamie' reaction. Sometimes you will get quite of bit of pressure or even pain as long as the food remains stuck, but it will be alleviated as the food moves through the pouch and stoma and on into the digestive tract.

If I were you, I'd give my surgeon's office a call and let them know what happened and get their take on it. 

I don't know if it helps, but in large part, most people don't have that passing out feeling often and it happens less and less often as your new  digestive tract matures over the next year or two. I think you will find it will be much better in a few weeks, months, then years... 

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 398 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 389 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 262 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?