Save the Date - 23 August!

SkinnyHusband
on 8/8/11 5:34 am
Hello All,

I'm new here.  I've been visiting often since my husband decided to have RNY.  I hope you don't mind that I'm a spouse, but my husband isn't much on posting on forums. 

He was told today of his surgery date:  23 August
It would be sooner, but the surgeon wants him to do a 2-week liquid diet.

So, the fun begins tomorrow.  As his wife, I'm not looking forward to it since he is not always a nice person when he is hungry.  But, I know we will get through this.  I think our 13yo daughter is going to take the brunt of it since she doesn't go back to school until the 22nd.

We are fortunate that we have Tricare Prime as our insurance.  There are not any "hoops" to jump through to get approved for WLS.

Now that he has a date set, he is scared.  After reading many of your posts, this is normal response.  I'm a little nervous also.  After, this is a major surgery.  This surgery is going to change all of us in some way or another.

Anyway, I have learned a lot from this site so far.

I will keep you posted on his progress.

Michelle
the wife of SkinnyHusband
Jamie M.
on 8/8/11 5:38 am, edited 8/8/11 5:39 am
I have Tricare Prime and your husband and I have the same surgery dates! Good luck to him!
SkinnyHusband
on 8/8/11 6:56 am
Good Luck to you!
syarbroG-5
on 8/8/11 5:51 am, edited 8/8/11 5:52 am
Hi Michelle, Ms Skinny Husband,
I too also have Tricare Prime. I had my surgery June 27th. Do you know what your husband's liquid diet consist of? Is it clear liquids or full liquids? It might be that he does not have to be hungry. I'm sure most people on this blog can help You guys bea little  creative. Give us some more info................... If you'd like.   sharon

IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SkinnyHusband
on 8/9/11 12:24 am
Sharon,

His diet is clear liquids plus 3-4 protein drinks a day.  A co-worker had RNY about 4 yrs ago.  She is going to bring in some samples of the protein supplements she uses. 

I talked with another co-worker who had RNY (w/ same surgeon as my husband) and said he was the best in our area. 

Last night, he went through a whole range of emotions...to the "I'm not gonna have surgery" bit.  But, this is normal isn't it?  I read a post  titled "emotional wreck" and she hit the nail on the head.  I'm sure he will be on an emotional roller coaster until he actually has the surgery. 

I'm not big on roller coasters, but I will have to ride this one with him!!  LOL

Thanks,
Michelle
dawney
on 8/8/11 4:13 pm
Hang in there Skinny family!  I just started my own two week liquid diet.  I suspect I will be using the sugar free popcicles as a way of coping.  Also I have one day under with the protein drinks.  I found that as long as I got my protein in I was not hungry physically.  My mind was a whole different thing, but I just kept drinking my water. 

You can do this, just keep your head up!
Dawn A Boesch    
SkinnyHusband
on 8/9/11 12:50 am
Thanks dawney!

Good Luck to you also!

Michelle
YankeeRose
on 8/9/11 12:53 am - Meadville, PA
Welcome Michelle! I just had my surgery June 21st and I am doing great. I also was very nervous before surgery but you know what? It actually wasn't that bad. Worst part for me was the gas pain right after surgery but if he walks frequently (like they want you to do to prevent blood clots) it helps relieve the gas. I went back to work 1 week after surgery. As for the liquid diet, I was allowed 4-5 no sugar added Carnation Instant breakfast drinks, cream soups (minus the chunks) - the Campbells pea soup was a lifesaver for me, V8 juice, sugar free pudding, yogurt, jello, popsicles and broth. I also chewed sugar free gum. Hope this helps and good luck!

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op