HELP!!!

vim_and_vinegar
on 8/10/11 3:07 am
Sorry for the dramatic subject line, but I need advice ASAP!! Here's my situation.

I was supposed to get a bypass this summer -- my surgeon assured me that given my health and motivation, it would DEFINITELY happen before I went back to college on September 1. Everything was running smoothly, and I completed my pre-op requirements in record time (seriously -- it was a record). Then, a snag. A stall. I call and call. Response? You need a letter of medical necessity. Even though my doc had already faxed it, I grit my teeth and have him send it again. I hear nothing for a week. I call again. Has my insurance information been submitted? NO! And why? I can't get a straight answer. Finally, after calling and calling, I am informed that the person who submits the insurance information is on vacation. For two weeks. During which time, nothing gets submitted or recieved. AARGH! At this point it's a month since the surgeon told me I'd probably be on the table. Frustration abounds. I take a deep breath and resign myself to having the bypass over winter break -- which would mean withdrawing from an important internship, but it seems that's the way the cookie crumbled.

BUT! Today Insurance Lady called. She was magnificently helpful and restored my faith in my surgeon's office. She said she was submitting my paperwork immediately and if all went well I would be approved within 72 hours. And the surgeon can operate next Tuesday. 

Oh boy. I go back to school on the first. That only gives me a little over two weeks to recover. Reluctantly, I make an appointment for December instead. But now I'm wondering...could I do it? I want this so much, and I feel so prepared. Is that just hubris? I don't want to compromise my senior year...and yet...

So, vets, I turn to you for advice! Get the surgery now, or wait until December? What was your experience? When were you back in fighting form? Please let me know!!

DisneyLover
on 8/10/11 3:12 am - WI
tough call.  I had no complications what so ever for my surgery.  But everyone is different.  I was ready to go back to work after 1 week, but took 2 off.  Never took any pain meds.
I am guessing you would be doing a lot of walking from class to class and that might wear you down/cause pain.
I am almost thinking that December might be your better choice. 

Sarah

Tonya0531
on 8/10/11 3:22 am - Lake, MS
It's really a dice roll.  I know that's not very helpful.  I went back to work after 2 weeks.  I think you would be fine to do it now as long as you don't have any complications or problems afterwards...which again you just never know.  Bless your heart.  I know you are torn.
Tonya
HW: 274  PreOp Diet: 271  Surgery: APRIL 25, 2011   
LilySlim - (6Jve)
I love my new life!!!
immafatgirl
on 8/10/11 3:29 am - KY
THATS A HRD DECISION. LIFE CAN BE SO COMPLICATED SOMTIMES. I HOPE YOU GET SOME ANSWERS . U MAY HAVE PUT VETS I NEED U ON YOUR OPEN POSTS , THEY MAY NOT KNOW U NEED THEIR HELP IF U DONT . SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS . IM NOT SCREAMING AT YOU HONESTLY. I JUST HIT IT FROM TIME TO TIME... u could jus go in with the attitude im not going to have any complications. i also cant wait to get back in school. i just want this behind me first and formost. but an internshi******ious. good luck and i hope all works out for you . whatever choice you make ..
JAZZSEY4
on 8/10/11 3:37 am
Hello I am not a vet, but I went through a similar situation as you, I returned home from study abroad in May and decided to have surgery. I completed everything in record time as well, however it just seemed like my doctor's office was not moving quickly enough, even though I stressed to them the importnace of getting the procedure done before I went back to school. However, I was finally given a date and I was worried because it only allowed me exactly two weeks to recovery before I went back to school....I spoke with my surgeon and he feels that I should be fine after the first week. He believes that if all things go accordingly I should be able to get into the gym after the first week and head back to school the second.

You should also ask your surgeon when you meet with him and if you don't feel comfortable taking the risk then maybe wait until December. I f I didn't have the surgery next week, I would also have to wait until december, and I definitely did not want to wait, so I am taking the chance and believing that things will work out just great.

After my surgery I will be sipping, sipping, sipping and walking, walking, and walking in order to make sure that I am in good health when I return to school!!

Good luck with whatever choice you make! Keep up posted!
Waysta
on 8/10/11 4:02 am - TX
Go for it.....I was back at work in two weeks.....not 100% but well worth it !!!!
Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
_Donna_
on 8/10/11 4:13 am
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you have 90 days to get your surgery done once approved. After that it has to be resubmitted.
I say go for it now

RNY 5-5-2011

YankeeRose
on 8/10/11 4:34 am - Meadville, PA
I am not a vet but I had my lap RNY on a Tuesday, was in the hospital for 5 days (minor problem). Got out of hospital on a Saturday and went back to work on the following Tuesday. I felt fine. After the first week I felt pretty good. I was a little sore but I don't have a strenuous job so it was okay. I only took my pain meds at night before I went to bed. Only thing is I felt tired but nothing a nap won't fix. Good luck.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

DivineMs.M
on 8/10/11 8:25 am
I went back to work within two weeks. I was tired, and needed naps. You would have to be really prepared to care for yourself.  If you had a roommate or buddy to help you I would be more comfortable about.  It would be a tough couple of weeks on you. Good luck with your decision.
Stacemonster
on 8/10/11 9:26 am
I took off 4 weeks from work, but could have gone back after 1 week.  I really felt OK--just took it slowly.  The thing that I appreciated about more time off was the time to figure out my eating at home without the complications of packing lunches, etc.  Physically I was fine.

I would go for it and get it done.  Good luck!!