Exercise question

DallasBBWmom
on 8/17/11 9:50 pm - TX
I started going to the local rec center. They have an exercise bike that has different preset programs. I did the weight loss program last night. Before I start it asks me a bunch of question and i have no clue what my resting and target heart rate should be.

Does anyone know how to figure that out?

Also, the machine says I burned 192 calories. When I get home and log the activity in my calorie counter it says I burned 490. That is a big difference. Any thoughts on that? The program was 40 minutes long.

fatoldbat
on 8/17/11 9:59 pm
  1. Measure your resting heart rate when you first wake up. You can do this by taking your pulse for one minute while still in bed. To take your pulse, place two fingertips (not a thumb) on either the radial (on your wrist, at the base of your thumb) or carotid (neck, next to your larynx) pulse site. Take your pulse for three mornings and then average those three readings to get your average resting heart rate. Add the three readings together, and divide that number by three to get your resting heart rate, like this:

(72 + 76 + 74) / 3= 74

2. Next, determine your maximum heart rate. A simple formula to get your maximum heart rate is to subtract your age from 220. This is your maximum heart rate. For example, the maximum heart rate for a 34-year-old would be:

220 - 34 = 186

3. Then, use this formula to determine your target heart rate:

Target Heart Rate = [(Maximum Heart Rate – Resting Heart Rate) × %Intensity] + Resting Heart Rate

So, using the example above, here's how to calculate the target heart zone for a 34-year-old who has a Maximum Heart Rate of 186 and a Resting Heart Rate of 74:

For a 50% Target Heart Rate: [(186 − 74) × 0.50] + 74 = 130 bpm
    For a 85% Target Heart Rate: [(186 − 74) × 0.85] + 74 = 169 bpm

So the target rate heart zone would be 130-169 bpm.
i googled it for you!  hope this helps you!  proud of your determination!!!  best wishes,

jenni
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?