Bike Riding NSV, and other observations of a 5-weeker.

heatherambrosia
on 8/28/11 12:50 pm - GA
When the economic stimulus checks were sent out about 2 or 3 years ago, I stimilated the cycling economy by buying myself a nice Specialized hybrid bicycle. In those 2 years of ownership, I've ridden about 10 times. Considering the cost of the bike, that's equivalent to have rented a bike for about $120 an hour. I need to get my bike riding on to get my money's worth.

When I bought the bike and last rode it before surgery, i weighed 342. And I peddled the crap out of that bike! I rode up hills, down hills (with the brakes on), and for about 5 miles at a time. I was a little self conscious, but I was doing it.

Well, now at 5 weeks out and 38 lbs down, I couldn't believe how much easier it was!! Now, I said easier, not easy. I'm already excited about how much better it will be at 250, 200, ....

Other exciting developments; my company had 3 days of training here at our home office, and about 100 people were flown in from across the country. Most of my colleagues know my surgery story and were very supportive. Not a soul had a bad word to say! But, I will admit that eating was challenging. Of course I came with my own food and snacks, but was able to eat chicken, guacamole with pita bread, green beans, and shrimp.

I feel so blessed with this surgery. Not just in having it, but in the fact it's gone so well! I've had chicken and steak with no problems, I've not had massive hair loss (yet), I'm staying hydrated and getting my vitamins. I feel so great!!! It was hard watching my co-workers hanging at the open bar... two nights in a row!... and having desserts with every meal (why??). But I kept telling myself, next year I'll be able to have a salad and not just the chicken for the topping, I may be able to handle a glass of wine... and I should be about a size 8 or 10!!! That's DEFINITELY worth skipping a few stale petit fours!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
BoiseB
on 8/28/11 1:30 pm - Boise, ID
Good for you!  It sounds like you're doing great!  I'm about 7 weeks out and I was worried when I had to entertain some out of town colleagues, but honestly, food just doesn't sound good to me so I'm content to have water or maybe a cup of soup.  I was able to just enjoy their company.

Keep up the good work!

Beth :-)
HW:  407 SW: 357 RNY 7/11/11      
InkdSpEdTchr
on 8/29/11 2:23 am
Keep up the bike riding, and keep increasing the mileage. In less than a year, I went from not riding my bike in over 15yrs. to riding it from SF to LA in one week!

WLS is a life-saver and I'm so happy to hear that you're taking full advantage of it!

WTG!

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

heatherambrosia
on 8/29/11 1:11 pm - GA
Thanks ladies!!! Maybe I'll be riding from one US city to another in the coming years. I'm so lucky to have a husband that is active and wants to do things like that with me. Maybe we'll do a long ride together some day!
SW 343, Current below, Goal 160 & to start a family!11978920
Most Active
Recent Topics