Getting off insulin following RNY

shannon0731
on 8/28/11 10:39 pm - LA
OK, I am very extremely happy that I have gone from 45+ units a day of Novalog to around 6. I am thrilled I have gone from 20 units of lantus to 10. and I am ecstatic for the 6.5 A1C down from 8.1. Blood work was done 1 month out of surgery. But I am just curious. For those of you who were on insulin and are now off of it, how long did it take? I am thinking since I have been on insulin since 2003, it will take longer than someone who has been on it for a shorter time. But I am just trying to see if I should even dream of one day, no needles.
I'm Ready!

Lori320
on 8/29/11 1:27 am
Great job on lowering your insulin intake and lower A1c!! I guess I was extremely lucky; when I entered the hospital for my RNY I was taking 25 units of Lantus daily, Novolin on a sliding scale 3x daily (usually had to take 5-6 units 3x daily) and 500 mg Metformin 2x daily. I have not required any medication since my surgery. A1c is currently 6.4. You are headed in the right direction!!!

Lori
Highest Weight 403

MrsPoppins
on 8/29/11 3:12 am
It will just keep getting happier! I had been on insulin for 20 years. 49 units of lantus and 15 units of novalog at EVERY meal and also Actos daily. 9 monthes out from surgery NO meds and A1C 5.1. I lost 85 pounds pre-sugery with help of NUT then 95 since. 180 pounds gone and my diabetes is gone! I will always have to recount my story with health care since there was damage done to kidneys etc.....but now no meds at all.
Within 3 weeks of surgey no insulin. I was told after there could be some weirdness...so don't freak out at an occasional high number. Last time I checked fasting number 82. I gave away all my needles....I bought new size 10 clothes. Good swap!
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 488 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 373 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 315 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 86 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?