3 week weight in. discouraged. Help

Shelly D.
on 9/1/11 11:55 pm - Grandview, TX
So here is the story. I had surgery on the 10th and weighed at my one week and I had lost 19lbs then at my second week I had lost only 1 lb totally a loss of 20lbs. I weighed today and had lost 5lbs. This brining the total weight loss to 25lbs. I know this is nothing to sneeze at but why do I feel like I am behind. I am a little discourage- :(

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

brianhart
on 9/2/11 12:07 am - Lexington, KY
I had surgery on June 14 and lost 19 lbs from surgery morning until my follow up the next week. Since then I've only been dropping 1 to 2 lbs a week (sometimes 0). This is so dissapointing when you are told from the beginning you should be dropping 7 to 10 lbs a week for the first several months. So, 2 and a half months later I'm very frustrated and all I get told by my nutritionist is to eat more calories. When I eat more I don't lose any weight. I was losing weight faster on my preop diet. :( I feel very discouraged as well. I'm sorry I didn't have anything to say that might make you feel better.
Lisa R.
on 9/2/11 12:09 am - CA
First, take a breath!  You are TEN DAYS OUT!!

Trust me when I say this, ALL of us have had these same feelings.  At 2 weeks out I was so upset that wasn't thin yet!  I posted something a lot like this and someone told me something that snapped me back in reality, so I will share it with you..

"what were your expectation before surgery?  Were they realistic?"

Then I noticed I really did not have any expectations,  so I had to set some.  You have to set realist expectations for yourself.  Realist being the key word.  25lbs in 10 days....WOW!  That is a lot, but you are feeling this way because you don't SEE it, but you will.  It takes a few months before you really feel and see the loss.  

Rethink your  expectations. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Shelly D.
on 9/2/11 12:18 am - Grandview, TX
I am actually 23 days out and I am at a loss of 25 lbs. I dont mean to be whiney but I think it is a mixture of the changes and it feels like it has been so much longer than the 23 days. I think it was because I had lost so much the first week and then the last two weeks were a loss of 1lb then a loss of 5lbs. Is this average or am I behind at 23 days out and a loss of 25lbs. I think it is cause I have seen so many posts where people lose so much more than that in their first month :(

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/11 12:32 am - TX
That is very typical. Think of it this way, have you ever lost 25 lbs in three weeks before?

My total loss at one month was 29 lbs. Then 15 lbs the next month, 12 the next, 10 the next, then only FOUR the next and five this month. Still 75 lbs in six months and a world of difference. It will come off! I had ten day stretches where I'd lose nothing, then I'd lose six pounds in one week - crazy stuff. Just do the right thing and it will continue to come off.
poet_kelly
on 9/2/11 12:49 am - OH
25 pounds in three weeks?  Good grief, that's wonderful weight loss.  I'm thinking you feel discouraged because you are afraid surgery is not going to work for you and because you are used to getting discouraged when you try to lose weight.  I think it's head stuff, not actually the amount you've lose so far, that is making you feel bad.  Are you in therapy by any chance?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Shelly D.
on 9/2/11 12:51 am - Grandview, TX
No I am not in therapy but it may be a good idea. I know it must be a head thing but I think I need to quit comparing myself to others. I see people who have lost like 40lbs the first month, I need to realize I am not them. Thanks for the sweet advise cause I was a little bummed

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

poet_kelly
on 9/2/11 4:53 am - OH
It is a head thing.  And the head things don't go away just because we have surgery on our tummies.  Unfortunately, all the big changes in our lives bring a lot of the head things to the front and we find we have to deal with them now or we're going to feel crappy even if we do lose a lot of weight.

You do need to stop comparing yourself to others because you're unique.  Even if someone had surgery the same day you did and started out at the very same weight, there are tons of differences between that person and you.  That person might have been on lquids longer after surgery or might have started pureed foods sooner.  That person may have been able to eat only three spoonsful of food or eaten five spoonfuls of food while you ate four.  That person may exercise a little more than you.  That person may be eating slightly different food than you.  That person may have more nausea and puke more than you, or maybe you puke the most.  That person may get in more or less protein and fluids than you.

And you know what?  Even if all those things were exactly the same (which never would be), that person's metabolism will be at least a little different than yours.  Kind of like your heartbeat may be a tiny bit different than mine.  My heart might beat 72 times a minute while yours might beat 70 times a minute.   And that's not a bad thing and doesn't mean my heartbeat is better than yours or that you're doing anything wrong.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/11 12:54 am
25 lbs is a great accomplishment! Do not compare yourself to others because we are all different and are not going to lose at the same pace.

When I was where you are at, I had only lost 13 lbs and so far I'm losing around 2-0 lbs a week. It's frusterating when the scale doesn't move as fast as you would like it to, but my 5 year old is constantly teaching me lessons such as her favorite saying "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

Dont get discouraged and keep up the good work!
Brazilnut2
on 9/2/11 3:57 am - TN
Well, I'm jealous!  LOL!  I had my surgery the day before yours and I've only lost 24 lbs.