Antibiotics 10 days preop!

Godgaveus2
on 9/8/11 11:01 am - WI
I am supposed to be having surgery on Sept 19th and Dr. put me on a 3rd round of antibiotics due to pneumonina.  I am almost at 5 wks and can not cut it!!  My surgeon actually found it at my preop testing.  I see my internal meds Dr and the surgeon on Mon, so I will know more then, however, just wondering if  anyone else has been on antibiotics this close to surgery and if your surgery was delayed?   Is there a certain time frame that you need to be off them?  I seen many other meds listed in my "bible" but not antibiotics.  Any advice appreciated.
poet_kelly
on 9/8/11 11:16 am - OH
I'm not sure about the antibiotics but I imagine they would postpone surgery if they are not positive the pneumonia is completely gone.  Some people develop pneumonia after surgery (not that many, but it can be really serious - I was one of the lucky ones and ended up in the hospital for three weeks, on a respirator for a few days) and I would be really scared of going into surgery if my lungs were not totally clear.

I know you're probably getting really worried at the idea that your surgery might have to be rescheduled, and I hope that doesn't happen.  I know I would have been terribly upset if that happened to me.  Try to stay positive, though.  Even if surgery does have to be postponed, it will just be a little delay.  You're going to be on the loser's bench soon.  And it's a really good thing they caught the pneumonia when they did and it's a good thing they are making sure you're as healthy as possible going into surgery.  They don't want you to have any additional problems after surgery if they can possibly avoid it - you'll have enough to deal with just recovering from surgery and dealing with the protein and pureed foods and all that stuff.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Godgaveus2
on 9/8/11 11:35 am - WI
Yep, I am fully aware that they want us to be in the best health possible. I would rather have it pushed back than go into it with even the slightest bit of pneumonia. I have been going through this process for a year now, so what would be a couple more weeks, I guess? I will find out more on Monday, so keeping my fingers crossed it will be gone.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 442 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views