Lithium Anyone?

kgee
on 9/9/11 10:48 am - MD
I saw my psychiatrist today and he wants me to start taking Lithium in addition to Cymbalta.  The last two weeks I've been extremely moody and irritable.  Basically, he's telling me I'm bipolar.  EEEEK!!!!

He wants me to start out on one 300mg capsule once a day and increase to two 300mg capsules after one week.  

I've heard great things about Lithium but am concerned about toxicity.  If anyone has a personal story or any information to share I'd be extremely grateful.  

Also, he said I'd have to have labwork done but didn't mention when and he didn't give me a lab order.  How long do I take this medication until I have labs done?

Carla M.
on 9/9/11 10:59 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I've been taking Lithium for about 9 years. I don't think I even got my first set of labs done until 6 months out. I get labs drawn every year now. 

The dose that you're on is relatively low, so I wouldn't be concerned about toxicity at all. I take 450mg twice a day, but have been on higher doses as well.

Don't sweat the bipolar diagnosis. It's really not that bad. My only advice to you is that:
1) with other doctors...keep your diagnosis separate. If they need to know your meds, have them put it on a post-it outside of your file.
2)never tell a life insurance company your diagnosis. You won't get the insurance if they know

I learned those few things the hard way. Other places asking for medical records etc, only to have things denied once they saw my diagnosis. It's a shame that the stigma of bipolar is so harsh.

I like my Lithium. It's been a Godsend for me. I tried so many other medicines that did nothing to stabilize my moods. Lithium was my miracle medicine. I've been stable for 9 years because of it. Well, that and my Klonapin.
kgee
on 9/10/11 12:12 am - MD
Thank you for the advice... I never considered keeping the diagnoses separate.  :-)

poet_kelly
on 9/10/11 4:00 am - OH
Your advice here really made me think.

I am not bipolar but have major depression, PTSD and DID.  I have always been upfront about that with all my health care providers.  I have always assumed all my doctors needed to know what meds I am on.  I have a list in my computer I print out and take with me because between all my meds and vitamins, it's a kind of long list.

I am not suggesting anyone should tell their doctors anything they aren't comfortable telling them.  The main reason I have been upfront with my health care providers is that my conditions can affect my health, so I feel like they need to know that.  I am wondering why you advise keeping a diagnosis of biploar disorder from doctors?

I never thought about the insurance issue, either.  I've always gotten insurance through my job until I became disabled.  The insurance company never asked about pre existing conditions.  I had no trouble getting insurance.  I think maybe it's different if you want to buy insurance on your own, though instead of through an employer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Carla M.
on 9/10/11 7:03 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Oh my! I think I worded it wrong if that's what you thought I meant. I really meant that you don't want your regular doctors to keep that diagnosis in their files. Mine writes it on the outside of my file. I am bipolar, have PTSD, etc........I will ALWAYS tell ALL of my doctors what meds I'm on and so on, but will ask them to keep my psychiatric profile separate. I do understand the importance of every doctor knowing what medicines you are on, but have run into several problems with medical files saying my diagnosis for insurance purposes and have had plans and policies cancelled due to "high suicide risks" because of that diagnosis.

Sorry if I miscommunicated that. I apologize for that confusion. My wording isn't always that great.
poet_kelly
on 9/10/11 7:45 am - OH
OK, thanks.  That's making more sense to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michelle8885
on 9/9/11 11:08 am
i am on 1200 mg of lithium for Bipolar. its not bad and i've never had lithium toxicity. the key is you need to be in tune with yourself b/c the minute you start to feel like your not quite right you should ask your dr to run blood work. i have mine done every few monthsmy body gets used to the lithium so they have to up my dosage for me to feel better every once
in a while. Once i go for surgery next month my dr is going to be switching me to the liquid form of lithium so that my stomach can handle it as well. it's not the end of the world. and i concur lithium has been a godsend for me as well.
ElleBW
on 9/9/11 4:13 pm - WA
Actually, it's not so uncommon to take a low dose of lithium to augment an antidepressant and it doesn't mean you are bipolar, it just makes the medication work better. You can be moody and irritable when depressed as well.  Depending on what type of bipolar you are diagnosed with (someone who gets manic mostly or someone who is mostly depressed) an antidepressant can actually make your condition worse (more an issue if you are mostly manic). I would make sure to talk to him to get a clear diagnosis.

That being said, being bipolar is no big deal when you take your medication, listen to your doctors and use your head. I was toxic once in the last 16 years when I overdosed (not using my head!) and was hospitalized overnight as a precaution so they could make sure my kidneys were okay. I was dehydrated, dizzy and was slurring my words a little, but really no big deal. It was far more traumatic to have the nurses treating me like I intentionally overdosed and should feel ashamed. 

Now I am stable on 600 mg a day even though my blood tests (lithium level) says I am not in "theraputic" range. I take a level every few months. Just be sure to keep up with hydration, especially when excercising or sweating a lot. It is a salt so your fluid levels are really important.

Good luck to you! 

Elle BW
Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some sort of battle.                                                                                        
                                                                                               Paulo Coelho    

kgee
on 9/10/11 12:15 am - MD
I'm extremely irritable and my moods change frequently.  I spoke with the doctor I work for yesterday and she conquered with the Lithium.  She thinks it was a good choice of the psychiatrist and feels that I will respond positively.

We shall see. 

I appreciate you sharing information.  I fell much more reassured.  :-)

Dan OBrien
on 9/9/11 11:43 pm - FL
Never took lithium, but the Cymbalta I was on.  Extremely addictive to me...felt like a heroin addict when I missed one dose.  Switched P-Doc, took alot of time and he got me set up on a really good set of "old" medicines that really work.  I was with a doc that just threw the commercialized meds at me for years.  Glad I switched.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views