Cruise and RNY

Lori P.
on 9/10/11 9:12 am - Kenosha, WI
Eating post RNY and being on a cruise seems to come up from time to time.  I just returned from a 5 day Bahama cruise and thought I would share my expereince.

I have cruised before and I had an idea of what foods I would find.  This particular cruise (Norweigan) seemed to lack the varitey of foods that I was used to seing on a cruise.

I had no trouble finding something to eat.  Breakfast was plain yogurt or smoked salmon and fruit.  I made sure I brought fruit back to my stateroom for in between meals.  Lunch was a salad and what ever protein choice they had.  Supper was in the fancy dining area and was either steak or fish and a salad. 

I was glad I packed my protein powder because there was one lunch meal that I had trouble finding something I tolerate (they had pizza, hamburgers and hotdogs....all get stuck)   I also used it when I missed a meal and all that was on the buffet was sweets and finger foods that I had no interest in.

I did miss the old me just a bit....sooo much food and much of it I do not tolerate....on the other hand....I was not crammed into a body shaper trying to look presentable in a dress that was roughly the size of a tent.  It is all tradeoffs!
I lost 3lbs on the cruise (was not trying to).   Pictures posted on my profile 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Debra P.
on 9/10/11 9:20 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 I can't wait to be able to take a cruise... I won't take one till I am fit and look okay in a swim suit. 
Thanks for the wise words and congrats on keeping control over what you eat !!

shannon0731
on 9/10/11 9:55 am - LA
I did a cruise in 209 and met a couple who had recently had RNY. I remember thinking, poor people! All that food!! But now, looking back and wanting to go on another cruise, I tried to remember what they had that I could eat. We did Carnival. i remember eggs made to order (thinking poached), yogurt and fruit for breakfast. Lunch and dinner had seafood and steamed veggies. I remember my sister in law having dietary issues and they prepared things just for her! I think if I do go on one, I will bring some of those single serving protein packets like I used in the beginning to find what I liked and didn't like. We did the gym while at sea and walked all over while in port. I am feeling like I could do it!! Now, lol, just got to convince the boyfriend to go!!

Shannon
I'm Ready!

seattledeb
on 9/10/11 10:13 am
I am in a post-cruise depression. No one is coming to clean my house twice a day and I have to cook my own meals.
We went on a week on Celebrity to Alaska.  I've been on all the major cruise lines and I felt like this was the best food I have had on a cruise. I had no trouble eating yummy protein forward meals.  They had a featured sugar-free dessert every night that I would at least have  bite of.
I moved a lot more...I went kayaking, took the stairs, and walked a lot up on the top.
I lost weight on my cruise too.

I'm dreaming of the next one. I think it works great for a post rny life.
Deb T

lptazbear66
on 9/10/11 10:50 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I took a cruise back in March and have another booked for Jan 1st.  I didn't gain any weight on the last cruise but didn't lose any either.  I did get bad and have a few bites of different deserts each night.  We did a girls cruise (mom, sis, my daughter, and I).  What a blast and I would love to do another all girls one. 

RNY at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN July 26, 2010 with Dr Clements. All loss is post op        
lptazbear66
on 9/10/11 10:51 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I just realized my pic here is from the cruise

RNY at Vanderbilt Nashville, TN July 26, 2010 with Dr Clements. All loss is post op        
melizabeth
on 9/10/11 2:25 pm, edited 9/10/11 2:26 am - CA
Lori,
I looked at all your pictures and you look great. How long and what kind of exercise do you do? I noticed your arms look great too. Any tips?

My husband lives on the computer looking for cruises. I'm having surgery in 10 days and he's been pressuring me to tell him when we could book a cruise. I told him I'm too nervous to schedule anything until I get the hang of things after surgery. We usually like to cruise on Holland America. They should have a cruise for RNY people with meals made especially for us, exercise, education etc., don't you think?

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

poeticdlt1
on 9/11/11 12:44 pm
I just returned from a cruise on the 10th of September.  I cruise annually and this was a little different with the food choices. I ate a piece of bacon and a cheese omelet for breakfast. I also had oatmeal and cottage cheese with fruit. For lunch I usually had fruit and some chicken or fish. Dinner was the same. I brought pre made protein shakes and carnation instant breakfast (sugar free). I saw many sugar free desserts, but was afraid I would get sick. Had to watch out for the  tougher chicken and beef, one night the chicken got stuck in my throat. All in all had a great time even with the fewer food choices.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views