OptiSource Post Bariatric Surgery Formula - Ever Tried It?

wynter57
on 9/11/11 6:06 am - Panama City, FL
Ok, my NUT tells us to take the Flintstones Complete twice a day but like with EVERY SINGLE THING I've had to take since this surgery, they are GROSS!

So, I was looking online to see if there are any chewables that actually taste decent and I came across these. I see some reviews saying they taste good.

Here is the link:
www.walgreens.com/store/c/optisource-post-bariatric-surgery- formula-chewable-vitamin-%26-mineral-supplement-tablet/ID=pr od403359-product

Have you tried these? If so, do they taste GOOD or are they gross?

If you know of a bariatric vitamin that does NOT taste gross, please let me know.

Thanks!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

poet_kelly
on 9/11/11 6:20 am - OH
I've never tried them because I think they are terrible vitamins.  I know the label says you only need four a day but that's not true.  To get the 200% of the RDA of most stuff as recommended by the ASMBS you'd need EIGHT a day.  You'd also need to take calcium citrate because these have calcium carbonate that you won't absorb.

As far as the Flintstones, even if they tasted great, they don't have all the vitamins and minerals we need.

If you're looking for a chewable vitamins, the ones I would consider would be Centrum Silver, Celebrate or Bariatric Advantage.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wynter57
on 9/11/11 6:33 am - Panama City, FL
Trust me, it's not that I WANT chewable vitamins, but like I told LadyTazz below, I was told to crush up my pills and take them and every day I do this, I get sicker and more grossed out by it.

I'm also not taking everything I should because I can't get past this grossness!

LadyTazz was given pills to swallow while still in the hospital whereas I was given crushed up pills, chewables and liquids, and every single darn one of them are GROSS!

I would LOVE to be able to swallow my pills, I know I'd do a much better job of taking them but frankly they have me scared to death that pills will get stuck due to such a tiny pouch (NUT said only as big around as our little finger at first.

Sign me CONFUSED!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

poet_kelly
on 9/11/11 6:58 am - OH
I was swallowing pills in the hospital too. 

Anyway, if you are going to use chewable vitamins, the ones I would consider are Celebrate, Centrum Sliver and Bariatric Advantage.  I would not use Flintstones or Optisource.

How long does your dietician recommend using chewables or crushing pills?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wynter57
on 9/11/11 7:44 am - Panama City, FL
I don't know, they did not say how long we have to use chewables, but I'm going to ask them tomorrow!

Wynter

Ladytazz
on 9/11/11 6:20 am
The first ingredient is sugar so I would stay away, even if it's a small amount.  It's the FIRST ingredient.
I don't know what your surgeon recommends but I just kept taking my generic senior multivitamin twice a day after surgery.  I was giving pain pills in the hospital so I figured it was ok to swallow pills at that time so I did.  They never said anything about having to take chewables.  I was even taking my horse pill calcium capsules.  I just took them one at a time.  They also have generic Centrum in chewable form, in senior and regular, at Walmart.  I don't see any reason to overspend on specific bariatric vitamins and I think that some surgeons that push them and sell them are trying to make money.  Just my opinion.
If I were set on chewables I would just get them at VItalady's since she has all the kinds that we need.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

wynter57
on 9/11/11 6:29 am - Panama City, FL
Trust me, I'd give anything to NOT take chewables. My surgeon and NUT has said for me to take all these chewables and liquids and they are so gross I'm not taking them as often as I should!

Due to this, I'm scared to death to swallow any pills.

Our NUT said our stomach at first is as big as our little finger and so that makes me feel that if I swallow any pills they might get stuck.

It would be SO helpful to me though if I were allowed to swallow pills instead.

I wonder why you would get pills in the hospital and every pill I was brought in the hospital was crushed up and disgusting!

Strange, how all these doctors have different rules.
Wynter

Hillery82211
on 9/11/11 6:32 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I've yet to find a chewable that tastes good.  I honestly don't think they exist.  Even the ones that get good reviews online taste like chalk to me.  I think its because my taste buds have totally changed since the surgery and most of the reviews are written by folks that have not had bariatric surgery but rather folks that just can't get down large vitamin pills.  I've just been suffering through and waiting for the day that I can just swallow a regualr pill (which I plan to move to one I use up all these darn chewable vitamins).  I just try to chew fast and after I swallow, I chase it with some sugar-free cranberry juice.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
wynter57
on 9/11/11 6:36 am - Panama City, FL
Hello there surgery sister! I don't care about wasting them, as far as I'm concerned someone can have these Flintstones chewables or I'd gladly throw them in the garbage, that is how much I hate them! lol

Did your doctor tell you that you could swallow whole pills? I would love to do that but am afraid of them getting stuck. I truly don't know what to believe when some folks have been taking whole pills since they were in the hospital and others of us were told to use chewable and to crush up pills.

Wynter

Hillery82211
on 9/11/11 8:42 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
On September 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM Pacific Time, wynter57 wrote:
Hello there surgery sister! I don't care about wasting them, as far as I'm concerned someone can have these Flintstones chewables or I'd gladly throw them in the garbage, that is how much I hate them! lol

Did your doctor tell you that you could swallow whole pills? I would love to do that but am afraid of them getting stuck. I truly don't know what to believe when some folks have been taking whole pills since they were in the hospital and others of us were told to use chewable and to crush up pills.

Wynter
Hey!  My doc suggested chewables/liquids/or crushing everything for 2 months....which is a LONG time.  The supplement that I hate the most is my chewable calcium.  That stuff tastes like chalk mixed with dirt....just UGH!!!!

I go back for my six week check up in a few weeks so at that time I'm gonna see if I can go to whole pills.  I might even try a bit earlier by doing 1/2 a pill.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?