Pre-Op Diet

Roxy_52
on 9/12/11 11:33 pm - MN
Just started my pre-op diet this morning, so I know it is getting close to surgery date.  September 27th @ 8:30 am.  I have so many horror stories about the 2 week diet I am wondering how I will do.  Do I darn cheat and have something to eat?
jazzycatz
on 9/12/11 11:40 pm - Joppa, MD

Yea the pre-op diet!    LOL  I take it you are on liquids?

You can do it.  It's not easy but around day 3 I found that the hunger went away.  I think your body figures out it's not getting solids and turns off the constant hunger cue.  Whatever, it did help.

I also had to avoid being around people eating and not have a lot of cooking going on around me.  It was easier for me because my DH gets home quite a bit earlier than me so he was able to have his dinner and be done by the time I was home. 

This is to reduce the size of your liver and have your bowel all empty pre-op so you don't want to cheat if you can help it.  And you can. I know you can do it!

Keep your eyes on the prize at the end of that 2 weeks. 

Barbara C.
on 9/13/11 3:10 am - Raleigh, NC

Roxy,

It may help to understand the reason for the pre-op diet. The main reason that the surgeon's will ask you to do this is to cause you to lose weight before the surgery. This is because the liver sits right on top of the stomach and during surgery the table you are rotates you to a standing position. Most obese people have some level of fatty liver disease, enlarging the liver. When we lose weight, the liver starts to shrink. This makes it easier for the surgeon to navigate while doing the surgery and that makes it much safer for you. So think about this when you are considering 'cheating'... You are cheating yourself and the safety of your upcoming surgery. Also consider that at this point you have already started your journey. It doesn't start when you have your surgery, it starts when you decide to change your life and surgery is a significant tool you use in your journey.

Wishing you all the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

cjlh97
on 9/13/11 5:02 am - NC
Hang in there, Roxy!  I am on the pre-op diet too.  You do start to get adjusted around day three.  I thought I was going to die on day one though.    My surgery date is Sept 23rd.  The only time I have cheated was having one dill pickle spear.  Just could not help myself.  But then I felt so bad about it.   But then again, It was only a pickle, could have been much worse I guess?

navywife1107
on 9/13/11 5:14 am - VA
 I started my pre-op diet yesterday.  So far so good. :D 9/26/11 here I come.
Paddy11
on 9/13/11 6:06 am
Hi! Today is day one of my pre-op diet too. Also Sept 27 surgery date. I made myself a chart to write down what I am taking in. Need to make sure to get enough protein. So far so good, keeping my eye on the prize!! Just made a protein shake that was pretty filling. Try to be creative, it might help! Good Luck!
crystal C.
on 9/13/11 6:22 am - lynn, MA
GGB
on 9/13/11 12:35 pm - montclair, VA

Crap! I'm day 8 and I just got back from Bunko. I knew going there that it might be tough. I loaded up on water, tea & had my 2 Optifast shakes & bar so I was stuffed!
So many crisis  among our group of 12 that before I knew it I had a celery stick in my MOUTH!!!  WHATTTTTTTTT I couldn't believe it! I ate three 4 inch sticks, and 1 floret of broccoli, whyyyyyyyyyyy??

My surgery is scheduled for next tuesday on the 20th. I wonder if I'll have time to undo the damage? I know get back on the horse but all I can think about is the size of my liver! Ugh have 4 more social events the rest of the week. I think I'm going to write 2 big "L"'s on the top of my hands to remind me Liverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Forgiving myself and coming up with a plan of action to survive Thurs, Fri. Sat & Sun.

Roxy_52
on 9/13/11 9:53 pm - MN
Thanks for all the replies.  I made it through day 1 without a problem.  I woke up this morning not hungry yet.  I know I can do it, just need to remember the outcome for the rest of my life.
Roshette
on 9/14/11 8:14 am - PA
September 27th here too. So far so good on the pre-op diet. One more day and we should be in the clear. Congrats and good luck to all!