Gum

EricaQ
on 9/20/11 11:07 am, edited 9/20/11 11:07 am
I'm only a week out from lapband revision to RNY and was wondering if I can chew gum with the RNY.  I've heard so many things because of the sugar alcohols even in sugar free.  Has anyone found a gum we can have?  And do you think I can chew it now or need to wait until I can eat actual food?

Thanks!
Erica Queen  
Lapband - 3/22/07
Revision to RNY - 9/13/11

poet_kelly
on 9/20/11 11:44 am - OH
Extra has these sugar free Dessert Delight flavors that I love.  They have a key lime pie flavor and it really tastes like key lime pie.  They also have mint chocolate chip ice cream flavor which I thought would be hard to do well in gum but it's excellent.

Chewing gum gives some people gas.  I guess they suck in air as they chew.  It doesn't bother me though.

The only thing you need to watch out for is to make sure you don't swallow it.  I have not swallowed gum accidently ever in my whole adult life, but some people say it can block the stoma if you swallow it.  I'm not sure if that's really true or how likely it is and I've never actually seen anyone post saying that they swallowed gum and it caused a big problem so maybe that is just one of those urban legands, but it seems like it would be wise not to swallow it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Paula F.
on 9/20/11 12:46 pm - Rochester Hills , MI
I don't think what Kelly told you is an urban legend because I was specifically told by my surgeon no gum for the very reason Kelly listed.  It can block your stoma and then you have to be scoped to have the blockage removed.  Maybe that changes once you are on a regular diet, but I am on pureed stage at this point after my surg. and was told no.  I think that would be a great question to ask your surgeon at your post op visit.  If you ask, I hope you will share what his/her feelings are on the subject.  Congrats on your surgery also!
immafatgirl
on 9/20/11 2:13 pm - KY
i been chewing gum, suck on mints and even just plain peppermint candy . not all the time, not every day . but my mouth always taste so nasty now since ive had this surgery.. i got sugar free hot cinnamon mints , they are so good. they last for ever . and kills the bad breath. sometimes just the taste of that , keeps me from feeling sick.or my mouth so dry. chewing gum builds up acid. your body thinks u r chewing to eat . some say to much can cause ulcers. but every now and then its like a treat. just ask your surgeon if its ok.
hlacy
on 9/20/11 2:52 pm - Chandler, AZ
I am a month out and chewed a piece of sugarless gum the other day - and accidentally swallowed it. I freaked out, tried to get it back up to no avail. I'm okay, but I'm sticking with mints from now on!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

EricaQ
on 10/5/11 11:27 am
I asked my dr. about chewing gum.  He said it was fine as long as it's sugarfree.  I can also havae sugarfree mints.  I was worried abou the sugar alcohols, but he said that would not make me sick/dump.  I asked about the concern of accidently swallowing the gum and getting it stuck.  He said that it wouldn't be a problem if it was swallowed unless it was a huge wad.  So since I don't chew a huge wad I was excited to starting chewing sugarfree gums and having sugarfree mints. 
Erica Queen  
Lapband - 3/22/07
Revision to RNY - 9/13/11

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views