safe sugar limit???

losing-jennifer
on 9/24/11 8:51 am
I don't know if I dump on sugar and really don't care to find out.  However...I'm wondering how many grams I should stick to.  I've been doing 5g or less in anything I eat but there are some foods out there that I'd like to add for variety and they have 6-10g.  I can't remember the foods exactly but one is a cereal I'd like to put on my yogurt and it would be 7g for the portion I want.  Any thoughts?
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

Eliza55
on 9/24/11 8:58 am - PA

I recommend that you try it slowly.   Things to consider - do you have any trouble with 5g?  Do you get blood sugar rushes on 5g?  If that's ok, then you can try 6g (I usually try new things on the weekend )
Each person is different, and not everyone with an RNY dumps. I ate a whole candy bar a couple of weeks ago, without any dumping.  Now I know I have to stay away from them because they are so seductive!

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 9:43 am - OH
I stick to 12 grams or less.  I know many people that stick to ten or less.  I think seven grams would probably be fine.  The only way to know for sure, though, is to try.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Shanneee
on 9/24/11 2:20 pm - MN
I can do up to 20 and then I start feeling icky.  No dumping, though. 

kipz303
on 9/24/11 2:30 pm
I'm the same as shanneee.. I can go up to 20 (usually) but I hardly ever do.  If it's a large drink like juice and it's something like 48 ounces and 20 or more grams of sugar, I'll go ahead but if its only 8 oz and 20g..heck no. I'd rather save the sugar allowance for applesauce or peaches.. orange...natural sugars dont bother me one bit but if I allow myself to have it I try to get something that has vitamins in it too.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Jane N.
on 9/24/11 2:39 pm - Round Rock, TX
My personal limit seems to be around 15 g of carbs in a meal (and I lump sugar under the bigger banner of carbs).  Any more than that and I feel terrible, racing heart, shaky, miserable.  I usually stick to 10 or less because I function better in that range.

dasie
on 9/24/11 7:52 pm
My plan calls for 10 grams, and I do perfectly fine with that allowance.  With the exception of my yogurt which has a little more, I did not touch sugar until I was 1 year post op.  I do not dump.   But what I do have is Reactive Hypoglycemia when I eat sugar or high carb foods. 

Annie Mayzing
on 9/25/11 12:58 am - Saunderstown, RI
Hi. I was told no more than 9 grams at a time.

Most Active
Recent Topics