Some beans more equal than other?

Susan_U
on 10/3/11 4:18 am - Ontario, CA
I have been wondering about something.  On the short list of soft foods I am now allowed appears "vegetarian refried beans."

Are there not beans in refried beans?  Of course there are. 

But when I asked if it is OK to eat mashed edemame or hummus the answer was "no, not yet, because of the beans."

???????  So if it is OK at a bit more than 1 week out to eat refried beans--one of the most disgusting foodstuffs on the face of the earth--why are the other two not OK?

Seems to me that some beans are more equal than others...

HW: 260  -  Consult: 241  -  SW: 239  -  CW: 206  -  GW: 140

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Rogers

Dave Chambers
on 10/3/11 4:23 am - Mira Loma, CA
Call surgeon's office, or attend support group meeting tonight. His nurse/office manager will be there and is likely to have an answer to your question.  Some beans may be more digestable than others, as a guess. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Susan_U
on 10/3/11 5:07 am - Ontario, CA
{SMACK SELF ON HEAD}

I totally forgot that the one in Murrieta would meet on a different night that the one I attend in Corona ( which is next week) and which I won't be able to attend.  I'll head out to Murrieta this evening.  THANKS

It was Dr. Suh & one of his nurses who gave me that info, but it was soooo busy with lots of other people coming in for consults & check-ups that I didn't like to take their time answering a lot of little questions.

See you there!

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Rogers

Dave Chambers
on 10/3/11 5:48 am - Mira Loma, CA
See you there too. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Susan_U
on 10/3/11 8:42 am - Ontario, CA
Well SPIT!!!!!  

My car choose today of all day's to die & I've had to have it towed.  So I WON'T be at the meeting tonight.

However, I did just email one of the nurses at Dr. Suh's office with my question & will look forward to her answer. 

Sorry to miss you, Dave!

Will Rogers

poet_kelly
on 10/3/11 4:35 am - OH
I don't know.  I guess you'd need to ask whomever is telling you it's not OK.  It makes no sense to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 10/3/11 5:13 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

I eat refried beans (because I love them!)

part of what makes the mushy is that they are cooked twice, smashed up and pretty much prechewed, therefore a soft bean and less likely to give you issues.

Edemame (which I love too!) are harder, solid, it would take alot of chewing to break down the skin/shell as much as a refried bean (typically a pinto bean).

I don't think its the beans so much as the process of by which they are prepared.

I had bean soup today ..navy beans that cooked for 24 hours in my crock pot, they had the same consistency as refried beans and I had no issues with them. 

Also, I was told I could have hummus on my purree diet, and have had no problems with it at all, its ground up chick peas/garbanzo beans, so I'm not sure why they would tell you not unless they are concerned about the oil that is typically served on hummus.

but ask your dietician for the reason why they said no

:)

_Donna_
on 10/3/11 8:03 am
Some beans leave a loose skin when cooked, maybe that is the issue.

at one week out i was eating refried beans with no problems; I even melted some cheese on top  mmmm

RNY 5-5-2011