Can we take oral steroids

Shelly D.
on 10/6/11 10:43 pm - Grandview, TX
I have poison ivy, they gave me a shot but want me to take the pills as well but I wasnt sure if it would upset my pouch

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

poet_kelly
on 10/6/11 11:51 pm - OH
Well, it won't damage your pouch.  If you mean  that you aren't sure if it will make you nauseous or something, I guess there's no way to know but to try it.  But steroids are not something we are advised not to take due to RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Shelly D.
on 10/6/11 11:53 pm - Grandview, TX
Thank you, I will check with my Dr. when they open to make sure. I know I will be eating when I take them. They make me weird when I had a regular stomach so there is no telling what they will do now.lol

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

Kat Kat
on 10/7/11 2:51 pm - AZ
Hi Shelly,

I finished a 5 day course of them 2 weeks ago and was fine until Wednesday. Then the inflamation started again, so I had a cortizone shot yesterday, and I feel new again.

Good Luck and I Hope You Feel Better Soon!
Kat

rbb825
on 10/8/11 5:34 pm - Suffern, NY
steroids can be harmful to the pouch but can be taken when absolutely necessary for severe medical necessity ie asthma, allergic reactions.  So, if the poison ivy is really bad which it sounds like it is, you can take it but you have to take some precautions.  First off, are you taking a PPI?  You should be taking this anyway for the first 6 months to a year post op to prevent ulcers and reflux.  If not, make sure you get on one ASAP - protonix, prevacid, nexium.  Take the steroids with food and milk if possible.  If you have a history of ulcers, you might want to ask for a prescription for carafate - if no history of ulcers, just the PPI and food should be fine for short term use.

Most Active
Recent Topics