Ferritin level is a 6....surgeon not concerned

hellokittycrazee
on 10/5/11 5:43 pm - NJ

I just had my 6 month labs, and my ferritin level is 6.  My surgeon said that doesn't really mean much.  I trusted him fully to perform my surgery, but when it comes to this stuff I trust your advice more.

My iron level is 42 and hemoglobin 11.9.  Should I be concerned about the ferritin level?

Meg

poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 5:50 pm - OH
I would be concerned. 

How much iron have you been taking?  What kind?  Are you taking it with vitamin C, and if so, how much?  Are you taking it at least two hours away from calcium?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hellokittycrazee
on 10/5/11 5:59 pm - NJ

Kelly I'm taking 65mg of ferrous fumarate with 125mg of vitamin C once a day.  My iron levels have gone up from 30 to 42, and the ferritin down from 14 to 6.  I usually take iron before bed, and at least 2 hours away from calcium.

poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 6:09 pm - OH
Well, I would increase your iron.  You might want to consider switching from ferrous fumerate to carbonyl, which is often absorbed better.  Plus it usually doesn't make you constipated.

You need more vitamin C with the iron.  We need 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SweetGirl11
on 10/5/11 6:19 pm
Meg,

I would be concerned.  My ferritin level was 10 and I went to a hematologist, and he put me on IV iron infusions weekly for two months.  My ferritin level went up to 268.  Unfortunately, our surgeons are quite often not well informed in vitamin levels, so we have to be our own advocates.  I learned NOTHING about blood levels from my surgeon.  Everything I learned about vitamins and blood levels, I learned here at OH...... especially from Poet Kelly, rbb, Andrea U, and Pam T!

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

hellokittycrazee
on 10/5/11 6:38 pm - NJ

Thanks Kelly and Michelle....I appreciate your input very much.  I'm going to switch to carbonyl iron today and look for a hematologist to consult.  I've been very tired and I know a lot of things can cause that, but could this be a contributing factor? I work roughly 70 hours a week so it's hard to tell what's a normal vs abnormal state of exhaustion lol.

Meg

poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 6:52 pm - OH
Absolutely, fatigue is often the first and most noticeable symptom of iron deficiency.  Although working 70 hours a week would make anybody very tired!

I think consulting with a hematologist is a good idea.  I'm not sure how they decide when someone needs iron infusions but with your ferritin that low, that may be warranted. 

Ladytazz
on 10/6/11 2:08 am
When my ferritin was 7 I had an iron infusion.  I would talk to a hemotologist.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics