What were your symptoms for B12 defiency??

aanmarie
on 10/6/11 11:03 am - NY
Hello
Im being sent to the hemotologist oncologist to check for this.I have some purple spots ,easy bruising and have some burning in my legs and arms.The PA said she wants to check for lymphoma and this is why she is sending me.Of course Im scared to death.She said that probably isn't what it is ,but now she said it so it's stuck in my head.Please tell me your symptopms?
Dave Chambers
on 10/6/11 11:11 am - Mira Loma, CA
Labs should be done to verify your B12 levels. Desired numbers are 900-1000.  In regards to the "purple spots, easy bruising..":  I had that issue and it was resolved 95% with 400mcg of vitamin D daily, to help with clotting.  I used to get these large purple bruises on my forearms, with no memory of doing any trauma to my arms to cause bruising.  Initially, 200mcg per day of vitamin K decreased the bruises about 50%.  At 400mcg, the bruising is almost all gone. If I actually do some heavy tasks at home, I do get bruises, but they go away in a few days.  I rarely get those large ones without trauma, and if I do, the are the size of a pea or so.  Vitamin K is pretty cheap, so it won't break your budget to try it for a couple of months. I saw results in less than a month. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

DetroitGirl
on 10/6/11 11:12 am
i had toe numbness and easy bruising...
poet_kelly
on 10/6/11 11:56 am - OH
Didn't the PA order labs to check your B12 level?

Below 550, people usually get symptoms like fatigue and depression.  Below 400, people start to get numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, due to nerve damage that may be permanent.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

aanmarie
on 10/6/11 8:38 pm - NY
She did order seperate blood work including B12,iron,etc  but they still are sending me to the blood doc to check for Lymphoma because of the purple spots on my arm.Little nerve racking
StillHopefulinAZ
on 10/7/11 1:15 pm
I had itching pretty much head to toe and burning on the bottom of my feet.  I thought I was allergic to something.
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

rbb825
on 10/8/11 6:06 pm - Suffern, NY
the purple spots and easy bruising can be due to low platelets or a vitamin K deficiency.  Make sure they check you for vitamin K.  A hematologist will automatically check you for iron, B12, folic acid, ferritin and all the blood disorders but vitamin K isn't a standard test.

I would think that there would be abnormalities in your CBC with lymphoma but the hemotologist would know the best. I wish you the best but I wouldn't worry yet  - it really sounds more like B12 and vitamin K deficiency to me.

How much B12 are you taking?  Is it sublingual?  DO you know your  level?  You want it to be atleast 1200 and preferably between 1500-1800.  Most doctors don't understand our malabsorbtion and will think that as long as it is over 200, the normal range is 200-900 you are fine but we are different, anything below 500 puts us at risk for nerve damage, which is why you are feeling the burning in your legs.  Last year, after being in the hospital for 2 months and off my B12 shots my level went down to 400, my surgeon had me take shots daily for a week to get my level up and then go back to my normal 3 times per week.

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 58 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 360 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 302 views