Anyone take Cipro (antibiotic)?

Frances S.
on 10/6/11 4:42 am - Crystal Falls, MI
Has anyone else taken Cipro post-op?  I was prescribed this for a UTI this week and the warnings talk about not taking it along side calcium supplements, iron or magnesium (I think).  I had to take it twice a day for 3 days, and not they want me to take it another 7 days.  To simplify things I just didn't take my vitamins at all since I'm not sure I can work in all of the doses of my vitamins and wait the amount of time the scrip for Cipro wanted me to wait in between taking the vits and the antibiotic.  I'm thinking big picture 10 days off my vitamins isn't going to be a problem.  anyone else deal with this? 

Day_dream_believer
on 10/6/11 4:46 am
If I recall correctly I took it at 5 am with my synthroid and started my Calcium at 9.  I took my final dose of the day late at night 4 hours after I had taken my iron.

Frances S.
on 10/6/11 4:56 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 If I can get up at 5:30, I can take the cipro then, then do vits at 7:30 and noon, then take cipro at 6 (they want 6 hours after or 2 hours before), and then take night time vits at 8.  that should work...

Day_dream_believer
on 10/6/11 5:00 am
My endocrinologist suggested putting my meds next to the bed with a glass of water.  Set the alarm to go off and then go back to sleep.  She does this at 3 am since it is easier to go back to sleep then.

Dave Chambers
on 10/6/11 6:26 am - Mira Loma, CA
CIPRO is on antibiotic I cannot take at all. I took it several times for cuts, etc. prior to my RNY. I got a bad cut from my table saw that required 6 stitches at about 5 months post op.  I took Cipro to prevent infections. After 2 days, I came down with "terminal diarrhea" that lasted over a week. I had to finally cease the Cipro and take some Lomotil to stop the diarrhea. My PCP told me at my next visit, that Cipro and other drugs basically kill off all bacteria--good and bad, which upsets the balance in the colon. Diarrhea is the result.  Just be aware some antibiotics can have this effect on post ops.  I took Bactrim for a UTI I got several months later, with no issues.  My medical chart is marked No Cipro, due to my reaction to it post op. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

bittybabynurse
on 10/6/11 11:20 am - MN
The guideline is to take the Cipro 1 hr before or 2 hrs after any of the calcium/iron containing medications. I had a UTI at 3 wks post and just tried to fit the calcium in when I could - it felt like I was taking pills ALL DAY! Be sure to eat yogurt or take probiotics, or you could very well end up with a yeast infection.
Highest  272 Consult 265 Goal 165 Current 158    

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker]
Most Active
Recent Topics