Does soup or cereal/milk break the rules about no drinking?

GoldiesGirl
on 10/8/11 11:25 pm
As the weather in Florida (slightly, slowly) turns cooler, I've been in the mood for making some homemade veggie soup, and ate some chicken noodle soup when I was out of town for work last week.  I'm not to this point yet, but was also thinking that some cereal for breakfast sounded food.

Would foods like this constitute drinking while I'm eating?  Should I eat the soup part of the soup first and then the veggies... or does it really matter?

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 11:41 pm - Boston, MA
I make homemade chicken/shrimp soup atleast once a week and I eat it all together and I don't eat cereal
babybooo828
on 10/9/11 12:15 am
 I think it does. But, still, its nice to eat those things sometimes.

Just don't use cerial for your regular breakfast, or you will hungry a few hours before your next meal and need to eat sooner than expected. If you do this everyday, your caloric intake will be too high because you will need to eat again. The milk washed the cerial out quickly. And because foods like cerial can be chewed up much finer than most proteins, then digest faster and easier. 

I was eating soup at some point for a regular lunch and learned from another post-op that this wasn't such a good idea. Even without the broth, the veggies are all boiled and soft, so they are slider foods. I always ended up being hungry too soon and was munching on this and that all afternoon.  If I do soup now, I eat it, and then add a fruit, veggies, or some other protein (like sliced cheese blocks) about 30 minutes after the soup so that I can keep the full feeling. Its a balance we have to find. I don't eat soup often, but I still use it as a nice treat. Soup is so comforting and really warms me up. 

poet_kelly
on 10/9/11 1:02 am - OH
Some people try to eat the broth first and then the chunky stuff in the soup. Some people only put enough milk on their cereal to moisten it but not enough for it to really be like drinking.

Then there's me.  I just eat my soup like normal.  I don't do cereal, my pouch doesn't like it much.  Yes, eating soup or cereal (the normal way) is like eating and drinking at the same time.  So keep in mind, a bowl of soup may not keep you feeling full very long.  But yeah, soup is wonderful in the fall.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fatfreemama
on 10/9/11 1:23 am - San Jose, CA
I eat the broth then the chunky bits of my soup. I do like my cereal only instead of milk, I use non-fat Greek plain Greek yogurt and some trivia. I only eat the kashi go lean because it is so high in protein and I like to add some blue berries it banana to it.
Cheryl N.
on 10/9/11 2:13 am - Des Moines, WA
I don't do soups much because I don't like the liquid part.  I tend to put alot of crackers in soup to "dry" it up.  

As for cereals, i haven't had cereal with milk since 2009.  I did attempt it when I had my band, and it all came right back up and I don't want to risk it again.  So if I want some cereal, I would probably eat it dry.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

GoldiesGirl
on 10/9/11 2:16 am
Thanks for the tips!  I hadn't even thought about soup not making me as filling.  I also used to add so many crackers to it (and cheese in chili) that it wound up being more pasty than soup.  Course doing things like that is pretty much how I found myself in the predicament that I WAS in.  :-)
JudiJudi T
on 10/9/11 4:02 am

I have been on a big curry cauliflower soup kick lately as one way to get more fiber in.  I usually take some to work with my lunch.  I eat it first and then after 5 or 10 minutes I eat my more dense protein.  I don't get too full at lunch doing this but if I do it at supper then I can't get in much protein for some reason.  It is eating and drinking at the same time but if you only do it occasionaly it shouldn't matter.  

I don't do cereal anymore as it doesn't have enough protein for me but that would be eating/drinking at the same time too.  If you did that - drink the milk first - wait a while, then eat the cereal.  Jus****ch the carbs.  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

hlacy
on 10/9/11 4:59 am - Chandler, AZ
Curry cauliflower soup sounds divine. I need to make some of that!
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

AddisynsMommy
on 10/9/11 4:30 am - FL
 im making a big pot of homemade soup today..lol I dont eat soup very often but when im in a mood for it I make it. I try to eat the liquid first but sometimes i dont. I may be the weird exception here but if i eat it normal I still stay full for a long time. I duno maybe im a weirdo! lol 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views