Biggest Loser Diet/Protein Question?

Shelly S.
on 10/10/11 3:05 pm - Mason, MI
I was doing some reading tonight and saw the Biggest Loser eating plan----it was calling for 168 grams of protein daily. How does that sound----anyone with a rny have more or less weight lose with that much protein?

There have been times with I have pushed toward 150 grams and it was during a nice losing time---I wondered if getting that much lean protein daily would help me get the last 20 pounds off.

Thanks!

Shel
Shelly Smith    
HW 326 SW 293 CW 180 GW 160        
poet_kelly
on 10/10/11 3:25 pm - OH
It sounds like more protein than most people need.  In the end, you need however much it takes to give you a good total protein level and a good albumin level when you get labs done.  If you exercise a lot, you would probably need more than if you were not very active.  The ASMBS suggests 1.1 gram protein per kilogram of ideal body weight, which works out to about half a gram per pound.  By that guideline, you would not need 150 grams unless your goal weight is 300 pounds.  However, I know some people need more than suggested by the ASMBS to get good labs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Price S.
on 10/10/11 9:27 pm - Mills River, NC
When I slowed down losing, I upped my protein to over 100 and downed my carbs to around 30 and continued to lose.  These days, I think I am done losing but still keep my protein around 130-150 to get ready for a knee replacement.  My surgeon wants my level wonderful and it has just been good at 6.5. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics