I'm 5 Weeks out & I've not lost weight in 3 weeks

NicoleH8016
on 10/11/11 10:44 am
Hey Guys!! I have a question... I am 5 weeks post-op today, & I have not lost any weight in about 3 weeks!!! I don't know what I AM doing WRONG???

I'm I not getting enough protein in? I don't get as much as I should, but will that seriously make me not lose weight?

Also, I don't really have an issue eating or drinking? Other than the fact that I can eat alot I would not think I have had the surgery. I can eat pretty much anything, which I don't.. and I can eat right after I drink and it doesn't bother me. AM I NORMAL????

I get so worried that I am going to be the person that the surgery doesn't work on:( I had surgery on September 6, 2011 and I've lost 21 pounds since then..

Any help/advise I WOULD LOVE AND APPRECIATE!!

Nicole
poet_kelly
on 10/11/11 10:51 am - OH
Yep, you're normal.  Stalls happen.  They are frustrating, but a normal part of the weight loss process.

Not getting enough protein might cause your weight loss to slow down, but honestly, it can cause much worse problems than that.  Like heart damage.

How do you know you can eat pretty much anything, if you don't?  Wouldn't you have to eat something to know you can eat it?

It's normal to be able to eat right after you drink.  Liquids don't stay in your pouch.  

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa R.
on 10/11/11 10:53 am - CA
 I can understand you frustration.  You really do expect to lose weight at least a little every week when you are first out.  And just the fact that you are eating so little compared to pre op.  I am sorry you have to deal with this.  Stalls happen for no rhyme or reason at any time they want. 

When I hit a stall I just stay off the scale everyday, I measure my waist, arms, legs, hips and boobs to see if they are going down.  I try on my tight cloths to see if they are starting to fit better.

Personally, I might get yelled at for this, but I don't think I was ever good about getting in my protein because I hate the shakes, so early out it was hard for me.  It did not stop me from dropping weight.  

Just make sure you are eating enough calories.  Too little and you will slow your WL down.  Eat often too, like every 3 hours.  That keeps your metabolism going.  

Hang in there.  I know this is frustrating, but this surgery does work, I have never seen any person on here say that it hasn't it, but their are stalls along the way.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Monique A.
on 10/11/11 10:54 am
Are you getting your 8 glasses of water in between meals (must wait at least 30 minutes after finishing your meal)? I struggle like you with an uncomfortable ability to eat larger portions than I thought I would be able to. Avoid drinking after meals and try to get your protein in. Every meal should also be protein first and even though sometimes we can, we should avoid any simple carbs. You can get some really good meal ideas from bariatriceating.com .
Try planning, shopping and preparing your meals in advance. My worst enemy is when I fail to plan and then I make some bad decisions.
I went through a lot of the stuff you are going through, doubting I even HAD the surgery. I thought maybe the surgeon somehow tricked me and never did the RnY. I lost some weight in the first couple of weeks but I have stalled out to like a pound or two weight loss over the last few weeks. I even started GAINING weight for a while.
P.S: from the support I sought going through the same feelings and symptoms, I found many people are experiencing the same thing.
Good luck, and Drink, drink, drink (water lol)

Loveshinesthru
on 10/11/11 10:56 am - Mesa, AZ
 I had surgery the same day as you, And I had a 3 week stall too. I was still losing inches though. are you exercising?  I wasnt, and once I did (walking) it started to come off. I also upped my protein. I get in between 80-100 gms of protein a day.  

Stalls do happen and are normal in this process.. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

Renee2be
on 10/11/11 12:32 pm - NC
I had surgery 9/9 and at 2 week**** the stall as well.  I posted about it and it is perfectly normal at that point,  my scale just has started moving.........slowly but moving........I think the stall we both experiencing is diretly related to the surgery.  Body moving from burning glycogen to fat.  Hang in there, maybe one of the vets will explain it again, a lil better.  Now as the others said i went down in body size thought the scale didnt move during this time.

Casey P.
on 10/11/11 4:00 pm
Same boat as you guys, lost 14lbs in the first 9 days then at my one month post op I was only down 3 lbs!! I had lost a pant size though and was assured by my surgeon that I was perfectly normal. I did some independent research at school and found a medical journal that discussed the trend of post-op RNY patients weight loss stall between the 2nd and the 6th week of surgery...I'll try to find it again and post it. (BTW I'm 5 weeks post op and the stall is over, losing weight again!) Good luck to you!
"I'm not here to change lives"-Me
"You're no fun anymore"- Monty Python

VSG 9/2009
Revision to RNY 9/2011
   "Let's try this again..."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 371 views