alkaline phosphatase 69 IU/L

AST (SGOT) 12 IU/L

ALT (SGPT) 11 IU/L

Vitamin B12 >1999 pg/mL - high - normal 211-946

Folate, serum 18.2 ng/mL

ferritin, serum 155 ng/mL - high - normal 30-150

hematocrit 36.3 %

vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy 107 ng/mL - high - normal 32-100

I'm taking 50K IU of D3 once a day, 10,000 mcg of B12 once a day, 60mg of iron (with 500 mg of vit c), 2 centrum chewables, a probiotic, 500mg of magnesium and the orangy omega -3 stuff. 

What if anything should I change?

Thanks!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

poet_kelly
on 10/14/11 10:17 am - OH
Well, first, these are all good.  Don't worry a bit about any of the stuff they have flagged as high. 

The BUN/creatinine is only a tiny bit high and I believe that has to do with your kidneys and I wouldn't worry since it's only a tiny bit high but you can ask your doc if you should do any sort of follow up on it if you want.

Your B12 is high but it's OK for it to be high.  However, you could cut back on how much you're taking now.  You could do that amount every other day instead of every day for a while and see what happens.

Your ferritin is fine and I'm surprised they even have that flagged as high.  My lab uses a much higher normal range.  My ferritin was something like 219 last time I had labs done and they did not flag that as high.  Yours is great.  Did they check your iron too?  I didn't see that number.

Your vitamin D is great.  It needs to be at least 80 and 107 is not anywhere near high enough to worry about.  If you want you could cut back on your D3 a little but I wouldn't cut back very much.  Like, I might start doing it Monday through Friday instead of every day.

Your protein is also excellent.  Looks like you're doing a great job with your vitamins and protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Carrie W.
on 10/14/11 10:36 am - KY
Thanks, Kelly.  You ROCK!!!
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

rbb825
on 10/14/11 4:05 pm - Suffern, NY
I wouldn't worry about the BUN/Creatinine ratio - most of the times labs dont' even perform this unless one of the tests - BUN or creatinine are out of range - if neither are abnormal, then it really doesn't mean anything.  The reason yours is high, is because your creatinine is at the bottom of the range and your BUN is mid to top of the range and the lab is just a calculation of the 2 numbers - do don't worry.  Most of us tend to have low creatinine levels - it is when our creatinine is high that we worry - poor kidney function.

Your calcium is on the high side - how much do you take and what type - you dont list any?  You want to be taking a minimum of 1500-2000mg of calcium citrate and it must be in 3 to 4 daily doses, no more than 650mg at a time, at least 2 hours between doses and not within 2 to 4 hours within your iron or thyroid medication.  A high calcium level can mean that you are leaking calcium from your bones and into your blood, this can be from not taking enough calcium or taking the wrong type of calcium.  Did they do a PTH?  This is usually done inconjunction with calcium and vitamin D to determine how well your bones are doing - also at 1 year post op, you should get a DEXA scan to determine your bone density.

Your B12 is great - I wish I could get my level that high and I give myself injections 3 times per week.  There is no danger in high B12 levels, we just pee out the excess.  If you want to cut back, you could cut back to 5 days per week since 10,000 mcg is a very high dose but I wouldn't cut more than that at one time - then get retested in 2 months to see how you are doing with the cut indose - if you are still too high, then you can cut more but if you are too low, then you know you need to go back up.  You want to be between 1200-1800 minimum.

Your vitamin D is good but you don't want it to get any higher.  What was it the last time it was tested and when was that done?  It is a matter of trends and how fast it goes up or down.  Taking 50,000units of Dry D3 usually causes our levels to go up very rapidly - I have seen peoples D levels up in the 200;s from daily dosing and that can cause kidney stones.

were these all the labs? What about vitamin A, PTH, vitamin B1, B6, E, K, copper, selenium, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus
Your ferritin is great - I have never seen such a low range - most ranges are from 10-250, 155 is perfect.  What is confusing is that a hemacrit of 36 is low and can be a sign of anemia.  what is your hemoglobin?  your actually iron level?  Anemia is usually due to either iron, B12 or folic acid but yours all seem to be normal.  In those cases, you need to look at other things like vitamin B6 and copper which can also cause anemia.

Most Active
Recent Topics