My effin back!

Mary V.
on 10/15/11 1:52 am
RNY on 04/26/11 with
Hi everyone,

Have a question I have been terrified to ask because I am scared to know the answer. I have been working hard at my weight loss, eating right, exercise, doing p.t.. Then I got this awful pain in my back on the right side like someone was stabbing me through my shoulder blade. I saw my physical therapist and told her, and also spoke with the main medical office where she is. They both suggested that if it bothered me that much to go to the E.R.. So i did. I thought here goes my gallbladder or muscle strain or something. I was told I have spinal compression and compression fractures in some of my vertebrae. I have had arthritis in my spine for 25 years but never any fractures. This is new to me in the last month. I get to see the orthopedist on the 24th which isn't bloody soon enough. I hate the narcotics but don't mind the lidocaine patches as they get nice and warm. Any one else get spontaneous fractures post op? I am about 5.5 months out.

Thanks for listening,

Mary

Laugh out loud...it does a body good   
Dave Chambers
on 10/15/11 2:01 am - Mira Loma, CA
You don't mention any calcium intake. You should have 1500-1800mg of calcium citrate daily, broken down into 3 or 4 doses spread throughout the day.  Good levels of vitamin D assure the calcium is being aborbed by your teeth and bones.  Target numbers are 80-90 are desired, and most post ops require a 50K IU dry D3 to get to those levels. I've yet to see 50K IU dry D3 in local stores, and I order mine from Vitalady.com .  Your initial diagnosis sounds like what my wife has, and it is painful for her most of the day. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Mary V.
on 10/15/11 2:28 am
RNY on 04/26/11 with
Hi Dave,

Yep I take calcium, b-12, D, multi with extra iron and calcium.
Laugh out loud...it does a body good   
Price S.
on 10/15/11 8:43 pm - Mills River, NC
sorry you are going through this.  I have arthritus in my spine too, as well as most other joints.  My bad did give me fits while I was losing and I spent lots of time with the chrio.  He thought is was because of the weight re-distrabutions and my spine was having to change shapes.  Mine eveidently didn't fracture but certainly was an issue.  I am NOT recommending you see a chrio now with fractures.  Just letting you know that back issues can and do happen.

My knee, on the other hand, has gotten worse with my increased mobility and I am scheduled for a total knee replacement on Nov 23.  the rest of my joints have apprecaited the loss and are fine.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics