I have the flu!

Amber L.
on 10/18/11 10:58 pm - Sweden
I am still three LONG weeks out from surgery and the first week on the liquid diet went well. I lost 10 pounds. (hit a stall yesterday) The trouble is, now I have the flu. Like, the "hit by a truck" flu. My whole body hurts and I am running a fever of 101.3 and that's with ibuprofen. The creamy shakes, soups and pudding are not appealing to me. I have forced two down today, but it was pretty damn gross.

Do you think I should call my NUT or coordinator and see if there is something else I could have? I would just LOVE some orange juice or broth based soup. I get that it's sodium and sugar, but I am miserable. I really feel like hammered ass. I don't think the not eating is helping.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

laura_vermont
on 10/18/11 11:00 pm
Broth was allowed on my liquid diet.  Call your Nut - I hope you can have something that appeals to you. 

Hope you feel better,
Laura
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

lanagirl
on 10/18/11 11:51 pm
I could have all the broth and low sugar juice I wanted. It was considered clear liquids.

Amber L.
on 10/19/11 12:29 am - Sweden
I am ONLY allowed the powdered mixes, diet soda (?!), sugarless mineral water, bullion or coffee or tea. I could have some bullion, but I really want SOUP. lol So, I am having my powdered potato soup with a little veggie bullion in it.

I still want the OJ, though.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/19/11 12:56 am
Real chicken stock by the buckets.. really.. If you can put some proteins (clear) in, that - great - if not - no problem for a few days.
Try to drink a lot of water - warm, with some real (fresh) lemon juice.. (as long as that does not hurt).
Try to stay away from any milk and milk product - that may increase mucus production and makes you more miserable.  
days like that I would recommend a cool quality hot and sour soup - strained.  Adding a bit of tofu and bending - may actually help a some with proteins...
Take extra Vit C... like a lot... 10,000 per day (in Ester C form = calcium asorbate).

try to get humidifier and have a nice moist air in the room you in, it may help you breathe... Add some essential oil to the mix (spray bottle ) lavender, eucalyptus, mint, etc. 
Herbal teas are great to help with breathing...

good luck... I know that really hurts...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/11 2:00 am
Feel better, sweet pea!  Boy, considering the low-calorie contribution, I sure would want to supplement my day with some lower-sodium chicken broth.  The orange juice is tricker because of those damn calories but one of my faves is orange Crystal Light, which is a sorry substitute, but maybe better than nothing?  Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.  Rest as much as you can!  Better now than post-surgery, or right before~
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 359 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 334 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics