Garbanzo Beans... Poet Kelly

MariaIsHappy
on 10/20/11 10:47 am
POET KELLY.... i just wanted to let you know that tonight i tried your recipe from an earlier post this week and they are so delish,  thank you     I've copied Kelly's post below if some of you didn't get it !

Post Date: 10/18/11 9:08 pm
Someone suggested this to me recently as a good protein snack. I need to go grocery shopping tomorrow and did not have much around here to eat tonight but then I remembered I bought these last week at the store.

Here's what you need:

one can garbanzo beans (or more - I made two cans and we ate almost all of them)
olive oil
salt
other seasoning if desired

Drain the garbanzo beans and rinse them. Spread them on a towel and cover without another towel to soak up as much liquid as possible.

Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Drizzle with olive oil and stir them around.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice during the cooking process.

Sprinkle with salt and other seasoning as desired. I had some creole seasoning left over from something I made a long time ago. It worked great.

They are a delicious crunchy salty snack and full of protein!

poet_kelly
on 10/20/11 11:40 am - OH
I'm glad you liked it.  I have to buy more.  I made two cans and they did not last long at all.  I want to try using different seasonings.  Someone said they use garlic and parmesan, which sounds really yummy to me.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 10/20/11 11:47 am
I made a yummy chickpea salad that couldn't have been easier.

1 can garbanzo beans 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil juice from a wedge of lemon shredded parmesan, romano and asiago cheeses, or whatever combination you prefer.   I just mix them up and I have a salad.  Serves 4.   The stats per serving are:   calories 100 carbs 13 fat 6 protein 9

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

altheda71
on 10/20/11 12:21 pm - Bear, DE
 I will be trying these!!!  I was just thinking about making some garbanzo bean mash as a replacement for mashed potatoes.  What do you think?  Anyone try this before.  I love lima beans to.  But there is nothing like GB's with salad.  

May God bless us in all of our endeavors.  May He forgive us for our frailties and our vanities and bless us to be prosperous in health, soul, and in life.            
poet_kelly
on 10/20/11 1:54 pm - OH
I've heard a number of people say they use mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.  Apparently it tastes pretty similar.  I don't know how the mashed garbanzo beans would be.  What's coming to mind is hummus, which I think is yummy, but it's not similar to mashed potatoes.  But mmm, now I want some hummus!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JudiJudi T
on 10/20/11 1:56 pm

Not crunchy but awesome for a side dish for lunch or to take to a pot luck.  It's 3 bean salad ... lots of protein in this too .. i made this for a party and it was a huge hit!  you'll notice i changed some of the ingredients if you read the prep directions.  

1 lb green beans

1 lb edamame (soy beans)

1 lb (or can) garbanzo beans

1/3 cup diced red onion

2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley 

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1 tbsp canola oil 

3 tbsp balsamic vinegar

3 tbsp seasoned lite rice vinegar

1 tbsp splenda 

salt/pepper

PREPARATION

1. Put a large saucepan of water on to boil. Fill a large bowl half full with ice water and place next to the stove.
  2. Meanwhile, whisk cider vinegar, rice vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Add onion and black-eyed peas (or chickpeas); toss to coat.
  3. Cook lima beans (or edamame) in the boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the bowl.
  4. Cook green beans in the boiling water until just tender, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain and refresh in the ice water. Pat dry and add to the salad along with parsley; toss well.
From:http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/three_bean_salad.html 

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Mrsz
on 10/21/11 4:23 am
Thanks so much for re posting these recipes. I'm walking over to Fresh and Easy at lunch to buy some garbanzo beans. Yum!
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/11 7:45 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

I have some in the oven right now, can't wait to try them!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views