Birth Control after bypass

Shelly D.
on 10/19/11 11:58 am - Grandview, TX
I have heard so many different things about birth control after WLS. I have heard that we dont digest the pills and I have heard that the implants can fall out while loosing weight. HELP ME. Please, I dont think I want the depo shot cause I dont want the weight gain. THe mirena sounds like a great plan but need any info I can get. Thanks so much

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

JudiJudi T
on 10/19/11 12:02 pm
My doc recommends that you use TWO types of bc during the first year after surgery because we turn into fertile Myrtles.  Don't know about the types as I'm past that stage of my life so can't help with that :)   

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

Dave Chambers
on 10/19/11 12:32 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Ditto on the "double protection". My surgeon has the same recommendation.  Unless you use 2, you might get pregnant within months of surgery.  Hormones become overly active, and getting pregnant is very easy--even if you've tried to have unsuccessfully to have kids in past years.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Mandy R.
on 10/19/11 12:37 pm - Callahan, FL
My doc recommended the Mirena IUD.

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

grmadeb01
on 10/19/11 12:51 pm - FL
i was told the same things, by my surgeon that WE DO asorb all of the birth conrtol pill, i was told my OBGYN that we MAY NOT asorb it all and with all the weight loss we can become fertile myrtles....so whats a girl to do? well in my case, i had to go out of state for 3 months when i was 2 months post op...so i had 3 months to think about it...but before leaving i made an appt to have the Mirena IUD put in, got the clearance so as soon as i got back and while still on my period we could have it done....that was advice from my OBGYN, so , 10 days after i got back to town, i had the IUD in....while i was on my period....that was on sept 16, i just had my month follow up appt to make sure the IUD was still in place on the 18th oct...all is good.....

this is giving me time to think of what my options are...i have no periods for many, many, many years, thought i had gone thru menopause long ago...then one day low and behold a period started and was still going strong over 6 weeks later...this was like over 4-5 years ago...well long story short...after the first DNC, and a year of being on the pill, to another DNC to make sure my LINING was thinned out as it had gotten so thick, hence the VERY LONG period....and now being on the pill ever since to make sure i cycled every month to not get the lining built back up again...for me not having periods, they checked and i have a boat load of eggs left hanging around, so hence i will be fertile myrle for sure....i am now 50 years old, and 6 months post op, down 100 pounds and i have 3 grandkids....I am not in the baby mood unless they are grandchildren....so i have some thniking time with this IUD in....the nexxt step was to have a total removal, si nce i also have a large cyst on my ovaries...but like i said, i have some thinking rto do and this is allowing me to do that...

anhyhow for the first week or so i had some spotting and that was it....since then nothing at all, and my OBGYN siad i was most likely not going to have any further periods since the IUD keeps the lining thined so it doesnt shed...so that works for me....totally works for me....so no worries about having babies...we tired to use some condoms during the first 2 months, but my body did not like the latex or what ever those are made of....so now to make the decision of permanamet  birth control or hystrectrime....(sp?)

anyhow that is my story with the mirens. so far so good, no problems, no period, no pain, yes when it was inserted there was deep breathing on the table, mine of course..but it was not that bad...some spotting afterwards for about a week, that was lite spotting...
i am in the middle of my first MAJOR stll, i have been home since september 6, and only lost 3 pounds  and that was when i was first home, but i have been steadly loosing weight since dec and my surgery was april 4th...down 100 pounds total since dec...so not complaing too much that my body is in resting mode right now...i hope i am not done loosing..but if i am....im fine, kinda...but i think i would like to loose about 40-50 more pounds...i started out back in dec at 295 and i am at 197 now....so  not to shabby, i have had no problems with dumping, throwing up, i can eat most anything with no problems, only had one episode of food stuck and what was raw carrots....so life is good....
hope this helped in some way or form...
have a great and blessed day
debby
Mandy R.
on 10/21/11 9:20 am - Callahan, FL
the IUD going in was not bad-although, my doc gave me a xanax and a lortab 30 mins prior to placing it....I had heavy cramping that day and spotting for about a week, I still have a period but it is very light

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

jojo3283
on 10/21/11 9:23 am - OK
my doc told me to use the Nuvaring. ... I was on it a few years ago and and so far after wls haven't had any problems

Doing this for ME !!!                 
      Highest Weight 260 / Surgery Weight 235 /  My Goal 160 / Dr Goal 135                  

exohexoh
on 10/21/11 9:33 am - West Chester, PA
the pill wasn't doing anything for regulating my period after surgery so my obgyn switched me to the nuvaring. but the guy i'm with no says it irritates him during sex so i'm not sure what i'm gonna do when i go back to the gyno in a few months. since i'll be about 18 months out then i may try the pill again

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13