Think I over did it

Brandi S.
on 10/20/11 11:54 am - TX
I had surgery 10-11-11 and everything went well. I had some minor pain but haven't used my pain meds since 4 days post op. So I went back to work a week later on 10-18-11.  I thought everything was ok, just some minor pain and nausea and I was on light duty. Well, I can't stay hydrated enough at work (I can't have drinks with me at all times since I work with blood and urine) so I have felt terrible. I also can't eat like I'm supposed to and that made it worse. So, I took the rest of the week off and I'll try again next week.

Here's hoping I can get back to work next week. We really need the money...

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 12:13 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Hydration, nausea, possible diarrhea, poor appetite, lack of energy--all are quite common for new post ops.  From the hundreds of post ops I've met at support groups over the past 5 years, most patients take a month off. This way they get used to hydration and other issues before returning to a work environment.  Drinking a lot of fluids at one time is very difficult for newer post ops. In fact, most post ops have major issues getting in the minimum 64 oz of water, even if they drank 2 gallons daily before surgery.  It's usually recommended you take a couple of sips (2 oz) every 15 minutes during the day.  You shouldn't try to drink while eating either.  You need to speak to your boss about how you can get fluids during the day.  Dehdration is the number one issue for readmission to the hospital. I told my wife this over and over before her RNY revision in 2008. She drank a LOT of water prior to surgery. Guess what?  10 days post op, and back in the hospital for 3 days from dehdration. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Monique A.
on 10/20/11 12:54 pm
I went back to work two weeks after surgery thinking I was feeling on top of the world but my first week back was aweful. Good for you for taking the rest of the week off. Pu**** too hard and it can all be for naught.

BugdocMom
on 10/20/11 1:49 pm - CA
I am so glad you have decided to take the rest of the week. It's so important to make sure you can get your fluids in and it's so tough to figure out how to work in protein, too. You have made a good decision. I hope you have an easier time of it next week. Good luck!
roccoshakes79
on 10/23/11 12:08 pm
 I work in healthcare. I had to take 5 weeks off of work. I was to exhausted to return any earlier. A few days into my first work week back I was starting to get back into the groove of things. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 7 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 255 views