HELP PLEASE...I think I am Depressed

FinallyFit1
on 10/20/11 11:02 pm

Ok I give in.  I am down in the dumps and promised my doctor that if I started to be blue, and not smiling and not wanting to go out, and not wanting to be sociable or clean my house, that I would make an appointment and go back on some meds.
But I haven't been on anything since before  my surgery and wondering what we can take.  I don't want it to be an expensive med either as I am on a fixed income.  Can anyone help me with what I should take or some help on how to dig myself out of this awful pit.  I am so angry...I should be on top of the world with my life...grrr.

teresarenea
on 10/20/11 11:08 pm - KY
I take zoloft and I can tell a huge difference.....it's not that expensive....Please dont let yourself get any worse go the DR and get on something...Good Luck
Teresa            
gabbyabby
on 10/20/11 11:12 pm
they also have liquid proazc, but i thought it was yucky.  I am off of mine too right now. 

poet_kelly
on 10/20/11 11:16 pm - OH
We are usually advised not to take extended release meds but any other antidepressant or mood stabilizer should be just fine.  Do you have insurance?  If not, tell your doc and ask if you can try something that is available in a low cost generic form.  Walmart has a ton of generic drugs for just $4 for a 30-day prescription.

I'm sorry you were feeling well and now you're not.  I have dealt with depression for most of my life and I understand how incredibly frustrating it can be.  Honestly, though, depression is an illness just like any other illness.  There is no "should" about it.  You feel how you feel and you get sick when you get sick.  Now you just need to do what you can do to feel better.

Are you in therapy?  That usually helps.  Do you go to a support group?  That would probably help, too.  Are you eating well?  Getting any exercise?  I'm awful about getting exercise myself but going outside for a short walk when you can might help a lot.  Have you had labs done lately?  Low B12 (below 550 or so) can cause depression.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Raynae S.
on 10/20/11 11:37 pm - PA
I have been on the generic Celexa 40 mg for about 4 yrs now. I never stopped taking it for surgery and I continue to take it now. I have not felt a difference in effectiveness since surgery. The great part is...it's only $4 a month at Walmart.

Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 11:46 pm - Mira Loma, CA

At almost 18 months post op, depression due to hormonal issues is usually gone. You likely have depression from a chemical imbalance due to stressors in life.  Talk to someone, that will likely help.  Antidepressants are not free, unless you have very good insurance.  I have pretty good insurance and all of my generic meds are $5 a month.  Most "brand name" scripts have generics these days.  My brand name scripts are $10 a month.  I'm on a fixed income too. But I realize the downside of not taking meds.  My insurance was screwed up when my wife's retirement coverage on my insurance had a BIG issue. I lost insurance, BOY DID I NOTICE the difference.  I was without my antidepressants for almost 2 weeks.  I feel much better back on meds. But that issue still causes issues with finances.  CALPERS said they "made a mistake" on figuring my wife's retirement, and they are "taking back those funds".  Her retirement is near $1000 a month.  No check this month. She was told she'd likely get a check for January. That check comes Feb. 1.  Nice, down $1000 a month for November, December, and January.  Without my meds, I'd be more than depressed.  Talk to someone. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

babylove35630
on 10/20/11 11:59 pm - Florence, AL
 you might try st. Johns wart...I think that is what it is called but it's an over the counter natural herbal med that helps with your moods IE: depression if you can't afford the prescriptions then at least start on something like that over the counter it's worth a try to have a little peace of mind and another thing i have found to help me stay off my bi-polar meds is prayer and giving my life to Jesus ... I figured that I had tried every other meds and they just didn't do what Jesus could / can for me so I gave my life to Him in May 2006 and I have been bi-polar med free since 2007 yes there are times I do get really stressed but I just get alone and study my KJV bible and pray and I always feel better afterwards.... And the best of all IT'S FREE to take Jesus :)  I hope I have helped and if you want to private message me I can give you my phone number if you just need to talk and let things out and vent and I am here if you need someone to pray with... Be Blessed
Take Care & God Bless, Gloria
{Curent Weight}{125}  Thank You Jesus!
H W / 215 -- April 2009 
S W /212.8  -- May 20, 2009
Nuts. Goal / 145 -- Nov 21, 2009  My Goal  134 -- Feb 25, 2010

ccrooker99
on 10/21/11 3:55 am - Altamont, IL
I take wellbutrin for my depression and it is also an appetite supressant. They are cheap and no side effects.
~~Carla~~            
FinallyFit1
on 10/21/11 6:14 am
Thanks everyone for the advice.  I guess there are a few things that I can take.   I was reading about a few meds and some of the side effects are weight gain and insomnia.  I don't need either one of those. 
As for the Welbutrin, I was on that before surgery but was told that because it was a timed release it would not work after surgery. 
Has anyone tried amitriptyline?  Someone I know is on that drug but I looked it up and it does have terrible side effects.
Let me know.  It is nice to know also that I am not alone.

poet_kelly
on 10/21/11 6:53 am - OH
Most prescription drugs have a long list of potential side effects.  However, many people do not experience any of the possible side effects and many others experience only minor, tolerable side effects.  I did have awful side effects from amitryptiline, it made me hallucinate and was really horrifying.  I don't think that's real common, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.