UTI

immafatgirl
on 10/25/11 9:47 pm - KY
wow. i didnt know urinary tract infections were common for WLS patients . ive already had 2 since sept and i dont like it . what is up with this? what causes it ? is it to much protein or what?  
fatoldbat
on 10/25/11 10:00 pm
WOW!  so sorry you've got this happening!  i'm 16 months post op and haven't had this happen.  i have no idea what would cause it....looks like all the fluids we drink would help prevent it!  sorry i don't have any answers for you but i do hope you get better really soon!

best wishes to you!

jenni
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
SweetLilyAnn
on 10/26/11 12:09 am - TX
Gosh, I had a HORRIBLE one when I left the hospital from the catheter. Ouchy, ouchy. Haven't had one since. Make sure you drink tons and make sure you that you take ALL of your meds. Sometimes that bacteria can linger in a "fold" and reoccur if meds aren't taken fully and the correct med is given. Sorry about that..

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

Dave Chambers
on 10/26/11 1:24 am - Mira Loma, CA
I was "lucky" and had one too. Urgent Care doc said it wasn't common for men, but lucky me.  Cipro was typically given, but he noted my medical record had a "no cipro" warning, due to previous usage with a week of diarrhea. Bactrim used and I was fine, with no more issues in the past 4 years. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Patti1md
on 10/26/11 3:06 am

I had uTI when I was dehydrated and had no signs.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/26/11 5:31 am
Not enough water
antibiotics from surgery
not good bacterial flora (you need probiotics)

once yu get UTI and it is not fully cured... it may happen again and again..

Not enough water, liquids - may contribute to UTI. The bladder needs flashing to wash the bacteria out of your system.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Morgaine
on 10/26/11 6:02 am - MA
I have experienced frequent UTI's for years, so much so that I could recognize one coming on almost immediately.  About a week after surgery I started to experience back pain that got so bad I couldn't even sleep.  I was absolutely miserable.  Luckily, I still had pain meds from the surgery but the back pain was so bad, I needed to take twice what I was taking for the surgery pain.

The doctor had me come in and thought it may be a kidney infection except when he tapped my kidney area it didn't hurt.  Tests ended up showing a pretty bad UTI - but none of the symptoms one associates with a UTI were there.  (I guess your body really does change after surgery!)  They put me on bactrim and I was certain it wouldn't work.

Just a day later the pain went away!  I never ever want to feel that pain again - if that's not an incentive to drink more liquids I don't know what is!  Hope you can avoid any future ones!

aclay
on 10/27/11 12:22 am - MA
I had one to and didn't know it.  I had 8 days of dizziness so bad that I couldn't stand up and went to ER.  They gave me 3 bags of iv fluids and tons of labs but other than low vit d  nothing showed up.  I did a urine sample and they said mild uti. But didn't give me anything for it. Just meclazine for dizzy and flourecette for headache. ( they asssumed I had a tension headache)  3 days later still really sick so i went to my pcp and she said they labs from er for the urine were really high. she did another urine and came back really high (uh hello they never gave me meds for it!)  So she did Cipro.  She thinks that since I had no symptoms of a uti then i got so sick it might have been sepsis?  She isn't sure.  Luckily I feel better now.  Still need to see the endocronoligist tomorrow AM for the low Vit D.

immafatgirl
on 10/28/11 1:57 am - KY
when i go in and complain , nothing is ever done. i get 5 minutes of pcp time and then its out the door. i get so frustrated.  i fixing to turn into a psycho to get some thing done when need be. i get so tired.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views