Should I be able to eat and drink this much (10 days post-op)?

Brian121
on 11/4/11 5:52 am, edited 11/4/11 5:54 am
I am 10 days post-op RNY. From the beginning after surgery, I was a little surprised at how quickly I could drink and eat without discomfort. I can now eat 7 ounces of yogurt in 15 minutes, and I can drink 32 ounces in about 20 minutes (without trying and without discomfort). I do this with small but frequent sips/bites. Does this ability seem excessive? Am I going to hurt my pouch or intestines?
on 11/4/11 6:01 am - OR

The way the explained it to me is that new pouch is like a funnel. So both of those things would stop the funnel up much, they are slider foods, slide right through. So it doesn't really surprise me. My surgeon makes us drink 8 oz in a few minutes before we are realeased from the hospital just so we see that its not a big deal and don't get dehydrated. If you have concerns though I am sure your doc can asnwer questions. You have a 2 week appt?

johnsoca
on 11/4/11 6:07 am - Madison, AL
No, you won't hurt your pouch or intestines with liquid or yogurt. You're doing great! As my surgeon said "that's the way it's supposed to be." You have to remember that the people who post about not being able to eat or drink are posting because that's a problem, not because it's normal.

Sara L.
on 11/4/11 6:19 am
Hey, I'm just over 3 weeks out, and I had no trouble getting my fluids and protein in from day one. My nutritionist was very specific about measuring my portions in the beginning because I couldn't tell when I was full.  So I measured very carefully, I am only supposed to eat 4 ounces of yogurt or soup at a time, were your portions larger?  When I moved to purees, the quantity was even lower, 2 ounces of pureed chicken or whatever.
Yes, you will be able to eat more, but should you? 
Sara in Maui

JMPTURTLE1
on 11/4/11 7:17 am - LOMPOC, CA
hello, I just had my surgery on Oct 13 and I feel exactly the same I can eat and drink no problem even though i am on pureed and really soft food in small bites I feel the same I am worried I eat to much because I dont exactly feel full so I just stop. I really dont want to have an issue loosing weight. I just joined this forum today hoping I can get some go info. 

iowa_missie74
on 11/4/11 7:26 am - IA
I felt the same way about the yogurt when I was eating 6oz and I was 3 weeks out. It's funny how we all have pretty much the same worries as each other. Nice and comforting also, at the same time to know we are not alone.

Price S.
on 11/4/11 7:57 am - Mills River, NC
It isn't about how much you CAN eat, it is about how much you should be eating.  What does your plan say? At 10 days, mine was for 1/4c or 2 oz, not 7oz.  follow your plan.  You won't feel full because the nerves were cut.  Use this time to establish new habits, like eating healthy instead of pushing the limits.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics