I want to start a running program, any advice?

Nicole T.
on 11/9/11 8:54 pm
Hi all,

I am thinking that I would like to start a running program. I am not sure how far I want it to go but right now I can barely run .25 miles at 5 miles an hour on the treadmill so as you can see, I have far to go. what is the best program to do to get maximum results. My first goal is to run a mile at 5 miles an hr, then a 5k, then maybe try to run it faster. are those good goals? any help would be appreciated.

p.s. i am still very overweight (230) and have alot of flappy skin. any advice on keeping that in check?
Bettisima
on 11/9/11 9:44 pm
Couch 2 5k is great. Google it and you will get a lot of hits on it. It's an 8 week program where you gradually increase your amount of time running. You don't have to move onto the next weeks activity, if you don't feel ready, it's just important that you are moving and giving it a solid effort. I am doing it now, and typically spend 2 weeks on each level.

Good luck!!
julesGA
on 11/9/11 9:50 pm, edited 11/9/11 9:50 pm - Brunswick, GA
I know several people that love C25k.  I"mk starting after surgery!  

For the flappy skin try compression pants and/or shirt.  It helps me with my flappy flab while working out.   :)

Carol S.
on 11/9/11 9:56 pm - Milwaukee, WI
 Couch to 5K is an excellent program.

I agree with the compression gear.  

Run More!
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Nicole T.
on 11/9/11 10:05 pm
awesome i'm going to do that. very easy to follow! thanks!
Neal R.
on 11/9/11 10:47 pm - Wylie, TX
Just to add to the couch to 5K,  There are several apps you can load to your phone that can help you while you are walking. They can promt you while you are walking/running.

http://www.nealslapband.com/
Banded May, 9, 2006 by Dr. Cribbens. Abdominoplaty on 02/11/08
TT pics: http://www.makemeheal.com/pictures/viewAlbum.php?albumid=4974

Facebook: Neal Riggins (Wylie, Texas)
Twitter: @NealRiggins
laura_vermont
on 11/9/11 10:48 pm
I'm a couch to 5K failure.  So, I was hoping that someone had other suggestions for you.  I tried it on the treadmill as well, maybe it would work better if I tried it on a track or walking path? 

My treadmill is stuck on max incline, which isn't a problem for walking, I do 4-4.5mph for 2 to 3 miles -- about 4x a week.  I would like to work my way to jogging -- ultimately, I would like to do a half-marathon in 2013.

Right now, I've just been focusing on increasing time/distance.  No actual jogging. 

As for the skin, compression garments are key.  Old Navy has a new reasonably priced line. 
High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

Nicole T.
on 11/9/11 11:23 pm
wow you can walk fast. i usually do walking at 3.5 and my jogging at 5-5.5 miles an hr.
fatoldbat
on 11/10/11 3:22 am
love, love, love the couch to 5k!  but...i have to do it outdoors as my treadmill is not a "treadmill".  i have a bowflex treadclimber which is only good for walking.....if/when it needs to be replaced i'm planning on getting a treadmill so i can run on it.

and....about the apps for the iphone!  i love my couch to 5k app on my iphone.  it tells me when to walk, run, cool down, which week/day i'm on and everything!!!

good luck to you!  i was never a runner til i did the couch to 5k starting october of 2010 and i ran the peachtree roadrace 10k this year!  i was slow....but i ran the whole thing which was a real woohoo for me!  definately get the compression gear and some good running/yoga pants.  i find the best deals at target and their pants (champion) come in short, average and tall.  they also have several styles and capris.  those are the best i've found!

RUN, GIRL, RUN!!!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
avivaps
on 11/10/11 4:33 am
RNY on 02/28/12
Thanks for this post.  I have been thinking about this but didn't know of this program.  I am going to try it out myself!

Good luck on your journey.

Andrea.